Jon application question

S

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to get your opinion/suggestions on something if you don't mind..... A few weeks ago (late January) I attended a job interview, which I heard back from about a week later that I has gotten a second interview for. The second interview was held abroad, although the job itself is based in the UK, and it all seemed to go ok. Anyway, at the second interview I was told that 4 other people plus me were having a second interview. That was back in the first week of February, and I haven't heard anything. Would you just assume I haven't got it as it's been so long or would you perhaps send a follow-up email, and if so what would you write? I thought that as there were only 5 candidates in the running they would have at least been able to send rejection emails/letters out after the second stage. Any opinions etc greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

S x

D

I'd send a follow up email as it's been three weeks and it would only require a quick response from them. Good luck!

S

Thanks Delta. Out of interest, how would you word the email? Would you just go for it and ask if they had made a decision yet, or word in such as a way as to whether you could have an update on the status of the applications? I'm not sure what to actually write!!!

D

Dear.....,

I recently applied for the post of ..... ..... (ref: ) and was invited to attend interview on ..... & ..... Could I kindly ask when the candidates will be notified as to the outcome?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

D

I honestly don't think they would mind the email, as it shows your interest is genuine. However, they may not tell you the outcome via email but hopefully should let you know when you'll hear something.

B

I don't think the email will do any harm but if you get a non-reply or no reply at all don't give up. Some places have incredibly bureaucratic appointment processes (particularly if it involves several partners or a head office elsewhere). What also might have happened is that one person has been offered the job but not yet formally accepted and they don't want to reject their next preference, in case they need to offer them the job (or better still they really liked 2 people and are arguing to get two instead of one appointments). Some places though are just rubbish and discourteous - my all time record was a university that took 5 months to reject me post-interview for a lectureship and refused to answer any questions in the intervening time.

D

That's absolutely terrible Bewildered. A poor show on their part...

S

Bewildered and Delta.... Thanks ever so much for your responses. I'm going to email them this morning...Wish me luck.... Although to be honest I'm not too hopeful, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Thanks again guys x

D

Best of luck! Here's hoping...

B

fingers crossed!

S

======= Date Modified 02 Mar 2012 10:34:34 =======
leave it to god... i m sure that he had planned the best for you...

Web Hosting India | Dedicated Hosting Servers

S

Didn't get it. :-( Applying for jobs is just sole destroying. Totally ruined my weekend.

Ah well, hopefully something else even better will turn up. Wishful thinking and all that...........

Thanks again Delta and Bewildered x

D

As a frustrated job seeker, I am so with you Starshine - very sorry to read that. However, at least you now know.