Lab coats. . .

M

I'm sure this ranks as one of the most mundane questions asked on this forum, but where do you guys get your lab coats from, and what sort do you wear? I used to think they were all of the "jacket" design, but I've seen some recently with high necks and which almost wrap around a little. Any info?

I don't know the answer but I just wanted to admit that it's one of my favourite questions on this forum. I don't do labwork, but I can't wait to see the answer

T

I wear the wrap around ones they are Howie Style lab coats.. they are used in microbiology to give better coverage of your normal clothes.. They usually have elasticated cuffs aswell for extra protection.

K

We get ours from our department/supplies. Our department is completely Howie lab coats (those are the ones that go up to the neck.)

I also bought a classic style lab coat from my previous Uni, which is covered in writing (alot not suitable for the lab) from pub crawls!

U

try http://rswww.com/ and search for lab coats.

R

I'm interested to know what inspired this query about lab coats?

B

Matthew82 ... Does this mean you found a PhD scholarship/bursary (if my knowledge is correct, weren't you having a real mare trying to find a studentship)?

J

You can get them from Famous Army Stores (oddly), or from industrial clothing outlets (which mainly stock catering clothes but also stock lab coats). Sometimes the uni will sell you them too.

I think for girls (of which I know you're not, just in general ) the industrial outlets are best cos they seem to have more variation in size. Universities seem to stock only one size (elephant).

M

Hi Goods,

Yes, it does indeed mean that I'm sorted for September now. At last! Hopefully, that's now the end of this episode and the start of a new, exciting one...

A

Doh! There goes my potential student! Great to hear that you've found a place though Matthew, well done

We still haven't got our studentship advertised, taking an age (uni paper work etc)...

M

Hehe, well, I'm sure your studentship would have been cool and I bet you'll get someone Ann. You'll have to let me know what and where it is, just so I can keep tabs. Am very pleased with mine however - I got a gut feeling in the lab that I never have elsewhere. In a good way, of course!

V

Doesn't matter on the type of lab coat. I got mine second hand way before I started my undergrad degree and still use it.

Your institute should stock them so you can buy it from there or maybe borrow one. Or alternatively Sigma (which sells lab stuff) may have them.