Laeaving PhD - mention skills to employers?

H

Hello all

I'm thinking of withdrawing from my PhD. Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should mention skills learnt in the first year (I'm at the end of my first year now) on job applications? I'm currently not mentioning it at all.

Cheers!
Hazel

S

I would certainly mention them as they can only benefit your chances. You will no doubt be asked what you've been doing for the last year and why you withdrew so mentioning the skills you've learnt will help counteract this. Have a think through the sorts of things you've been doing - e.g. time/project managament, analytical skills, communication skills etc and see how you can convince the employer that these will bring value to their business.

H

I definitely would. Just because you didn't get a PhD out of your time there, doesn't mean that you didn't learn anything, and any employer will be keen to hear about transferable skills. Plus I'm sure it looks better than having nothing there at all.

Good luck with your applications.

C

Definitely - in fact I would be tempted to play down that you were going for a phd to start with and label it as a valuable year in research. Outline what you achieved (any experiments and results) and definitely list transferable skills

e.g. you will have had to show adaptability to a changing question and a new job
time organisation
working to deadlines
logistics - organising equipment, time in labs or whatever
any technical skills you gained
protocol writing
attention to detail with data
improved IT skills
lone working under your own motivation
writing skills - outline any reports you did
critical reading of references etc..
presentation skills
networking with other researchers
etc.. etc..there are a mass of other things that can be milked out of it!

even leaving shows you were willing to take a risk because you know what you want for your career and this isnt it (although Id stick it out if you can unless you are really unhappy- a phd is worth having and youll always have it) Besides you cant just leave a blank space for that year - that is the worst thing to do.

S

Hi Hazelj,

Everyone's given great advice on this one.

I too am considering leaving my PhD and am concerned that leaving will affect my future prospects.

One of my mates left his PhD six months ago, and advised me that, if I am asked why I left the PhD, to state that it was for financial reasons that I was unable to continue study. I thought that was quite a good response as it meant you didn't have to expose yourself too much.

T

Check if your first year of PhD can count towards an MPhil? I know this is quite common in many Universities, and is based on your first year report.

A

spacey, just wondering, what year are you in?

H

I think it all depends on what you are going to do after you quit; for instance IT and interpersonal skills and the proven ability to prioritise are universally sought after whereas McD's couldn't care less if you can run a SDS-PAGE blindfolded. Keep it in perspective, don't go mad just to bulk up a CV.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do (up)