Hi!
Can anybody tell me the difference between the words:
head teacher (or its it headteacher)
principal
administrator
superintendent

Thank you!!!!!!

C

Headteacher is the head of a school in the UK. Principal I think is the same thing, but is a term used in america.

Administrator could be a number of things. Maybe would need the context.

Superintendant is a rank in the police.

Hope that helps

H

Quote From catalinbond:

Superintendant is a rank in the police.

Except when it isn't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superintendent

I knew the police and janitor uses. I'd never heard it used in education before though.

A

======= Date Modified 14 Oct 2011 11:32:47 =======
In Ireland it's principal not head teacher which is used. Also in Ireland superintendent is used in relation to state exams as in the person in charge of the exam hall, the distribution of scripts, returning completed scripts to exam centre for grading.

Administrator to me applies to an administrator possibly in the Dept of Education rather than a school. Also applicable in third level settings.

E

So, basically all four of them are posts in educational management.....maybe with regional differences and some minor role differences.....

Am I right????

A

if you're using them in an educational context (which I think you are) then I would say yes :-)

E

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(it's really difficult sometimes when you English i s not your native language to inderstand some things that may be easy for a native speaker....I feel stupid sometimes.....)

A

Stupid - not at all. I would not be able to even ask your question in Greek, Emmaki :-)