Late PhD refusals/responses- your experience

T

I have just had a PhD refusal. I went for the interview in July and it has taken 52 days for a response!!!(no word of a lie). I emailed the supervisor countless times but to no response. What is even ruder is that the final email was from the secretary! Luckily I had already accepted another PhD. I wish that people would exercise some common courtesy.

F

I had three people do that to me first time round (after my first masters), I was a reserve in two cases encase the person they chose said no, or pulled out. The other on has still not never contacted me, and thats after 3 or 4 years! I don't see why a simple email to say thanks, but no, would do.

T

Yes I agree. If I hadn't secured another PhD I would be up (X) creek with out a paddle.

F

Or in my case work in museums for 4 years and do a second masters, and find out what you really want to do with life and what I want to research.

T

A reserve, how rude is that.

E

Maybe they offered the position to someone else, but didn't want to burn their bridges, should said person say no. This person may have been waiting on offers from somewhere else, in a similar way to the hold-ups caused by other deals when you are looking for a house. Or maybe they just put your file on their desk, and the secretary noticed it whilst cleaning up and thought to drop you a line.

T

52 days!!!!!
I had more than one interview for the same place. The other supervisors got back to me within 3 weeks!. If that was my last chance of getting on a PhD for this year I would be gutted. When you are waiting for a response for so long it is not very nice.

R

i guess you were probably a reserve as well then if they took that long. Maybe they offered to someone but if they didnt take it, you were next. Perhaps that person took a long time to decide.

Other possibilities include departmental people fighting over who gets the funding. It may have taken them that long to agree who was going to get what funding (if it was uni funding). After all, you may have been one of the best students, but a more important professor wanted a student and so they had to fight over the funding and the more important professor won. I doubt they want to tell you this is happening so they wait for it to be resolved. The other people may have lost the fight earlier.

Still, rude not to at least inform you of what is happening.

T

Thanks for that Richmond. I can see the problem about why delays are to be expected. Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but I did email the supervisor twice to see what was happening.

T

Anyone else had problems?

W

Well I managed to get a refusal email for a project I hadnt even applied for! I had emailed the supervisor to find out further details about the project but soon realised it wasnt really the area I wanted to work in so I didnt even submit my CV or an application form. A few months later I get this email out of the blue telling me I was unsuccessful in my application! Seems that people don't really take good care in replying/not replying/taking care when it comes to emails....
Still, getting rejected for a project you've not even applied for - I think that takes some beating!!