LaTeX vs Word

C

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but could anyone tell me whether they would recommend using LaTeX rather than Microsoft Word to write up their thesis? I heard LaTeX is brilliant to use once you get the hang of it but seeing as I have no programming skills whatsoever, I wonder whether trying to learn LaTeX would be worthwhile or would it just waste my time?

Cheers,
CB

D

My first question would be what is your subject area and, more importantly perhaps, do you use any equations at all? There is no real advantage if you're doing a non-mathematically related PhD to be honest, as it does take quite a while to get to grips with. It looks a lot nicer than Word, certainly. But don't add it as an extra pressure needlessly!

M

Hi Cb , I am still a relative newcomer to Latex but find it is much better than Word. After spending more time messing with formatting trying to get my Lit review done I decided to give Latex a try. I am still learning when it comes to adding graphics, tables equations etc but am getting better the more I use it. It is good to be able to just concentrate on the content not the formatting. Give it a try and see how you get on, I won't be going back to Word ay time soon, except for at work where I don't have a choice.
Good luck
Max

C

Hey, thanks for the helpful replies. I'm in engineering so essentially, I would have graphs and equations.

D

In which case I would go for it if you have the time (and a LOT of patience!) to learn it. Most of it is fairly straightforward but it does have some odd nuances, like trying to get your graphs in the right place :-s

I speak with a lot of frustration and experience!

M

Definately go for LaTeX, when you get into equations it's worth learning it just for that. It will give you prefessional consistent typesetting in a way that word simply can't. Try some basic tutorials and see what you think. Lets us know how you get on!

I'd like to do LaTex - but my supervisor likes to change things and she can barely work 'track changes' in word, and she can't even use the underline button in word 2007 so I'm guessing learning a whole new thing would be impossible for her.

C

Cheers guys! I guess I'll give it a shot. Now, just need to find time to embark on this mission....

S

I'd definitely recommend Latex. I have loads of equations, so am pretty much forced to use it, but when I see theses in Word, Latex just looks far superior! It's not difficult once you get the hang of it, and that's coming from someone with absolutely no clue about programming. There's a really good guide, Latex in 138 mins I think it's called, that tells you practically everything you need to know.

S

Oh, and you often get some rather amusing results in Google when searching for help on Latex... ;)

E

Quote From squiggles:

Oh, and you often get some rather amusing results in Google when searching for help on Latex... ;)

Try emailing someone who reads their emails in googlemail, something about LaTeX. They get some interesting targetted ads down the side of the email pane.

CB, if you are in engineering then I imagine that LaTeX will give you a better-looking thesis. As others have said, LaTeX has a number of quirks and the difficulty in tracking changes is another complaint. (I think this arises because LaTeX was written in the 80s when networked computers and collaborating on finished documents online was not common.) If you must track changes in something like LaTeX you could try subversion?

What operating system are you using? There are LaTeX editors for each and they can be helpful.

If you have any questions you could try asking here.

Good luck!

Ejc

C

I'm using Vista. I'm not too concerned with track changes, so I guess that's ok. Someone recommended TeXnicCenter I heard it was easier to use than others.

D

I use WinEdt with MikTex. And you're more than welcome to PM me any questions if you get stuck with anything, I'm always trying to convert people to the joy of LaTeX :)

C

'joy of LaTeX' ! - Haha, thanks Dan. I will if I'm stuck :-)

M

Hi CB , I use Texnicenter and find it pretty good, I had a look at some of the other compilers but opted for Texnicenter. Its teh same as any new software it takes a bit of getting used to but once you have got the hang of it its not too bad. There are some very good guides on line, but I generally just search for the particular function online when I get stuck, I generally find the answer reasonably easily. As I said I am learning myself but if there is anything you get stuck on with Texnicener drop me a mail and I will try and help out.
All the best
Max