length of supervision meetings?

Z

Im interested in how long people's supervision meetings last? im in the social sciences, and i have a strict 'one hour', and it always seems like, as soon as the hour's up, my supervisors look at their watches and wind things up. i sometimess feel it would be more beneficial to keep going a bit, cos often ive only just warmed up! - even if it meant fewer meetings (i have one meeting a month). What do others have?

Z

Thanks Bibi. Thats really helpful, and you're right, i am thinking of requesting something longer. Problem is, i have no frame of reference as to whether I'm being unreasonable (I feel this with a lot of things!) - hence my posting to see what others have/get. Its hard because my supervisors always make it clear that they're always pushed for time.

F

I am a physical geographer, however, one of my colleagues is a human geographer and has requested more frequent meetings with their suprvisor & for them to be less formal, and thankfully her supervisor has agreed (granted she is Tawianese, and is getting use to life in the UK). However, I think speaking to your supervisor, and telling them your problems/issues is a good start, as it varies from student to student how much contact is given/needed.

D

i think its great you get an hour!!!! I don't get that! If you need more then do ask... if they are unwilling to give you time then nag. Or e-mail loads. Dont stand for second best. I think supervisors forget what its like to be a PhD student.

S

Hi Zelda. I'm lucky if I get a full hour and it's usually interrupted by people knocking on the door. Should've mentioned I'm social sciences too. Finding it all a bit traumatic at the moment. This guy is my new supervisor because my original one left for a job elsewhere. Hoping things get better or I'll be asking to change to someone else It really gets me down sometimes.

Z

That sounds harsh, Soda. How far into your PhD are you? All this chopping and changing must be stressing you out.

M

I'm also doing a social science PhD. My meetings are every month to six weeks and average length is an hour and a bit, sometimes an hour and a half.