Life in Durham

Y

Does anyone know anything about life in the university of Durham? In paticular does anyone know which college is best to go for there?

A

I'm studying for my PhD at Durham. As far as colleges go I'm a member of Ustinov (the default option for postgrads), but I virtually never go there or have anything to do with it, and I am also a pastoral tutor and member of the SCR at St Mary's.

Your decision will probably be influenced by whether you want to live in (I didn't), and to what extent you want to be involved in college life (I didn't really care either way). If you're coming from far away and won't be able to look for accommodation, it's probably better to go for Ustinov because they can guarantee you a place in halls with lots of other postgrads, and it's not a massive hassle to move out if you don't enjoy it.

What are you going to be studying?

Y

ah, philosophy

Thankyou, Ustinov was one the colleges I was thinking about.

T

It's hilly.

S

durhams a lovely place to study.

A

It is hilly! I live on top of a big hill, but I am also one of the only PhD students I know who's lost weight while I've been studying! The thing to bear in mind is that, at the moment, Durham has WAY more accommodation than students, so you can pick and choose where you want to live if you live out. Are you starting in September, Yamato?

Y

ah, yes I will be starting this september. I should also say that I grew up in Durham city too and I can remember being quite disorientated doing my BA in Cambridge because I suddenly felt like I was in Durham city with out the hills,