literature review or theoretical framework?

J

which one comes's first in your thesis? the literature review or the theoretical framework?

P

L. Review, since you want to place the TF within its context...

A

Not necessarily, mine doesn't fit that model - it's the other way round.

J

what's the purpose of a theoretical framework? it is to make an argument or to show how an argument will be made or tested or is it a collection of theories. mine provides a framework upon which to test an argument.

P

Only a collection of theories in a very bad PhD.... it should contain aspects of methodology...
OK then GENERALLY most people will find LR then TF works best.

B

Most 'soc science' stuff (which I think you are) would do 'lit review' stuff first followed by 'theoretical framework' (which I'm assuming would sit in some type of 'methodology' chapter).

S

Mine are to an extent one in the same... the literature suggests I need to use a particular framework (they have used it and I'm building on their work), but having accepted that particular framework, there's another body of literature I have to cover. I'm over two fields, so have to lit reviews, and effectively it is:
Lit Review, Framework, 2nd Lit review.
I've actually come across a few people that don't have a stand alone lit review, but have lit reviews at the beginning of each chapter. So I think it depends on the nature of the thesis. but generally, yup, Lit Review first, then Methodology

J

thanks guys. am going to have mine after literature review. i had them combined before and it was hard to make it work.