Literature Review

M

I have a couple of questions regarding the Literature Review section of a PhD proposal (English/Creative Writing)

How long does it have to be? How many sources do I need to quote?

Thank you for all your replies

:-)

C

Hi Mothy.

How long does the whole proposal need to be ?  i would say split into percentages ... 

what's out there already - 30%   - literature review

what you think you can add - 30% - sell your idea

how you're going to add it - 30%    - methodology - interviews, document analysis ...

10% for intro's, linking statements etc.

as for how many sources..  depending the size of the proposal - why not 5 ( arbitrary number )  - 1 early thinker, 3 established big guns and a new entrant into the picture.  covers the whole time range.

I'm throwing this out there for comments and critique - there may be a set way of setting these things out. 

all the best. Chuff

M

Hi Mothy

This is a classic 'how long is a piece of string' question unfortunately.

Is there a format or template for your proposal from the uni? Ours was called an 'initial project approval' or somesuch and gave a word limit.

Also, I think it will be down to quality not quantity in terms of what you say and how many references quoted!

Any other thoughts forumites?
Matilda

S

Matilda is right: how long is a piece of string and how many pieces of string will get you to the moon? However, to be slightly more helpful, one of my lit reviews (the other one is not written) was 12,021 words long and had 109 entries in the bibliography.

A

My total Research Proposal was 1100 words, of which 350 words were the Literature Review. However, I spent a long time crafting that section, to ensure that it was dense with references/observations, and setting up areas of consensus/disagreement, and knowledge gaps. I listed 20 refs in the bibliography.

M

Thank you for all your replies. Most of the unis I'm going to be applying to have guidelines, RHUL doesn't. I'm going to be applying for a practice-based PhD in Creative Writing and there doesn't seem to be any guidelines for the proposal.