Loneliness of the long-distance researcher

Z

Feel slightly pathetic writing this! I'm studying at a distance from my uni and working as well so hardly go to the uni at all. Have plenty of non-uni friends but don't really know anyone else doing a Phd so when studying feel a bit out of the loop and well a little lonely. Can anyone relate to this and did you take any practical steps to improve situation? Enjoying the work but feel am missing out on social side of being a student again. Thanks goodness for this forum! :)

E

I am studying at a distance from my uni (different country) and I am working FT....
I don't feel lonely and I don't miss anything from being a student (I had a fair share of student life!!!! I think 5 years were enough!!! )
I have my friends, who, although they don't have PhDs, can understand me. They know (probably from my mum) when I need to go out, what I need to be alone and they respect this.
This is my third year of studies and I owe a lot to my friends!
I also have my parents! A mum who understands completely what I am going through (she had to leave a PhD several years ago due to personal reasons) and tries to help me the best way she can. And a dad who, although does not know anything about my subject, is so proud of me and cares a lot about my well-being and my sanity!!!!

I really owe a lot to so many people!!!!!!!

Z

Hey, sounds like you've got it sorted! :) I would like to be more part of a research community to be inspired and challenged even more but like you I am enjoying my work (up)

B

You could be describing my Phd experience. I attended lots of conferences to ease my academic loneliness. But as far as the quality of my thesis went I actually think the distance worked to my advantage as i could write up my ideas without as much policing as those other doctoral candidates who were constantly bumping into and getting button-holed by their sups and other members of department. Also your non-academic friends, those that are interested anyway, help you make sure you don't spin off into technical and theoretical obscurity and constantly keep you mindful of the 'what is the point of studying that' question.

Z

I think there are positives in terms of work as you point out Biddysbottom. Good to look at it from that point of view actually so thanks! I guess when I started it I thought new chapter, big adventure, new people. In reality it's me in my living room at my computer :). I decided to go for this uni which is quite far away from me so totally made my own bed and all that. There are many positives too! But don't think there are many chances of new friendships, networking or blush romance :-x being in this set up. Am a little introverted as well so any of you extroverts with sound advice, bring it on... So basic question - how can I meet other phd students when working at a distance from my uni?

B

I completed my part-time PhD basically from home. I'm severely disabled, and couldn't go into the uni very much at all. I felt incredibly isolated, but focused on what I needed to do, and used this forum for added support. I also had a good fellow PhD student friend at the uni, who'd done a Masters alongside me, and we kept in email contact, and would occasionally meet for lunch and/or coffee. But basically this forum kept me going through the tough times.

Good luck!

C

Hey! I'm also doing my Phd at a distance, in another country in fact, for personal reasons (immigration laws changed in GB so my bf couldn't afford to stay there). Is there a uni in the town you're in, or closer than the one you're doing your phd at? If so, you should check if they have any talks/conferences coming up, especially if it's something in your department. I'd suggest applying to do conferences and/or attending them is a great way to meet people in your field (plus good for the ol' CV).

H

======= Date Modified 07 Mar 2011 10:53:02 =======
Conferences are expensive to attend :-(

C

This is true but you can get funding if you know where to look :D

H

Quote From clairette:

This is true but you can get funding if you know where to look :D

Seriously? Where is that?

C

It depends completely on your university, department etc of course, but for French there are quite a few affiliated organizations such as http://www.sfs.ac.uk/ that offer funding towards conference costs etc. There must be equivalents for your area of research?

H

Quote From clairette:

It depends completely on your university, department etc of course, but for French there are quite a few affiliated organizations such as http://www.sfs.ac.uk/ that offer funding towards conference costs etc. There must be equivalents for your area of research?

I haven't found any that fund PhD students.