Looking for jobs after PhD graduation

D

Hi guys I need your advice.

I have a full time job now and am planning to study a PhD next year. I hope that I can develop my career in academia after graduation. Should I study full time or part time? What do u guys think? Thanks!

M

Hi,
I guess it depends on whether your PhD is funded, and where you would stand with your current employer if you wanted to study full-time for three years. It is certainly feasible to work full-time and study part-time, obviously it just takes longer!
Mog :)

T

I would recommend doing a PhD fulltime as it's really difficult to do one parttime and work fulltime. You will also probably feel more like a part of the department this way. It probably won't make any difference in terms of career in academia afterwards

B

Quote From dotdottung:
Hi guys I need your advice.

I have a full time job now and am planning to study a PhD next year. I hope that I can develop my career in academia after graduation. Should I study full time or part time? What do u guys think? Thanks!

Most PhD graduates do not get academic jobs, so if your current role is a) a decent plan B and b) a PhD would help you progress in that career, then part-time might be worth thinking about to keep your options open. Otherwise it depends really on how competitive you are to get funding to do it fulltime. If you can't get funding, unless you are very well-off or have family/partner willing to pay, then part-time is usually the only viable way.

I

Quote From TreeofLife:
I would recommend doing a PhD fulltime as it's really difficult to do one parttime and work fulltime. You will also probably feel more like a part of the department this way. It probably won't make any difference in terms of career in academia afterwards

I second that!