Made some progress so what should I do?

J

I've made some progress in the last few days on rearranging my dining room to be a beter workspace, completed my skills audit for PhD annual review, finished a first draft of a paper for a journal, now have a very detailed outline of PhD lit review, read a couple of articles and have started writing it) and have spent some quality time with each of my children. So what do I do over the Bank Holiday? Should I stick with PhD as I am on a bit of a roll, should I finish the dining room (and then more onto kid's bedrooms and rest of the house) or should I say stuff it I'm having a day off and go out somewhere?

M

Take some time off! :-) Having said that, I'll spend most of today and tomorrow working...

Hi Jepsonclough, I haven't voted because, although my first instinct was 'take the day off!', that roll you're in is, in my experience, gold dust, so I just couldn't bring myself to click the button. Depends when the last time you had a day off was, and what calibre of fun you have available. A day with the kids could be great, sounds like it to me anyhow.

D

As someone who used to work in spurts, I'd say if you're on a roll then go with it. It depends how much effort you find it to get going again if you do take the day off.

J

Have found an amazing book publishe din 1955 so am reading that but am going to break for lunch in the garden with the children - so bit of both - kinda feel I should go with the roll.

S

It's a rare treat to feel like your ontop of things with a PhD. Embrace the moment, take the break you deserve...you never know when you'll feel this way in the future.

E

You're on a roll, go with it (Like DanB, I work in fits and starts and know how valuable those rolls are.)

Don't forget to "bank" your bank holiday (geddit?) for the next time you are feeling frustrated* and in need of a well-deserved break.

Ejc

*Not that I am suggesting that this in inevitable! :p