Made wrong decision to start PhD

G

Hi,
I just moved from Australia to Europe to start my PhD in International Studies, and feel that I have made the wrong decision, particularly as I currently have no motivation to do my Phd. I only applied for 2 PhD programmes on a whim, as what I really wanted to do was my Masters, so I would only need to take a year out from the workforce. When I got the scholarship, I was never excited, enthusiastic or pleased, but everyone managed to persuade me that it was a fantastic opportunity that I could not pass by. I was also under pressure from my parents to take the scholarship, so I did, hoping that when I started I would be pleased that I had made the right decision. However, since I got here, I have just felt that it was not the right decision for me, and that I would rather be working. I had a fantastic job that I loved, and I am on 3years unpaid leave, but going back seems almost embarrassing. I am not a quitter, but I also dont want a career in academia so I am wondering whether a PhD is even necessary to achieve my ambitions (to work for an NGO or international institution such as UNODC, Interpol, NATO or somewhere like SOCA). Would I be better increasing my work experience, rather than doing a PhD? I have a BA/LLB (first class hons), but not a Masters. Is a PhD going to make me stand out from other applicants, or do recruiters look more for experience. If a PhD was necessary for what I needed to do, then at least I would have some motivation to pursue it. I really dont want to spend the next 3-4 years reading/writing/reading/writing, but at the same time I dont just want to give it up and go home with my head between my tails. In addition, I have the added difficulty of a long-distance relationship between here and Australia, and I am missing my boyfriend terribly. I have read that a few other people have had similar doubts, and just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what to do.
Thank you so much :)

P

I think that having the PhD will get you very far up the ranks in the sort of field you are interested in. Experience is very important but nowadays almost everyone is motivated and out there getting experience. And experience is something that is there whenever you decide to pursue it. But this PhD opportunity with funding is not always there. I'd say go on and try to work n a topic you are passionate about. This would give you an edge and an attestation to your expertise in the specific field you have dealt with. In addition, a PhD carries with it a certain element of respect and authority.

I don't know. I think a PhD is a great idea and it's not just limited to academia.

However if you don't like what you're doing at all then leave before it's too late. We're talking 3 years (and most times it drags into a 4th and 5th years) of being under the stress of research and deadlines. Sometimes you might get to a point where you feel demotivated. If you don't have that passion needed to get through, you'll probably fail and be miserable.

S

Hi Grumblehead

Not many posts, so thought I should jump in. I disagree with PhD_Girl. While I think a PhD will help you in lots of ways and could be seen as a bonus by employers, in your field, I do think experience is important. Mind you, I don't/haven't worked in this area, but have some friends who have, so only have a limited knowledge of NGO work. But I think given a choice between a person with a PhD and no experience, and someone with experience but no PhD, they'd go for the experience every time. A PhD might be useful if you wanted to do research or policy work for these orgs, but even then isn't essential. Your field is also hard to get into, and I know of people who've done internships for the experience, and used this to try and get a paid job. I think it's a tough road, so don't waste time doing a PhD if you're not keen. I also think a law degree would be highly regarded, so that will stand you in good stead now for these jobs.

I also think that your initial lack of excitement is very telling - if you're not keen to do a PhD at the start, then I don't think this bodes well for the next 3 years, especially when you're saying now you don't want to spend your time reading/writing. A PhD is really hard, and you have to be keen and really, really want to do it.

I think you know deep down what you want to do  - go with your gut insticts and don't worry what others will think. Do what's right for you. Good luck!