managing weight during the PhD

M

Confession: I have put on 30 kilos (4.7 stone) since I started the PhD and I now have a BMI of 36. Don't worry, I know I am fat, but how did I let this happen?. My sedentary lifestyle doesn't help, I spend too much time in front of the computer working on the thesis. Stress means that I overeat - but this is not an excuse. My doctor sent me to see a dietician, as he thinks that my extra weight affects my health (true story, some of you may remember my recent posts about my bad health). I now diet and I have started seeing the first positive results. I have also made time to swim at the local swimming pool. I go there every day, swimming for at least half an hour a day, no matter what. At least confessing that I have a problem is better than pretending the problem doesn't exist.

I

Quote From marasp:
At least confessing that I have a problem is better than pretending the problem doesn't exist.

That attitude is what will carry you successfully- keep it up! Make sure you don't just focus on the quantity of what you eat but also the quality (eating better foods), in addition to exercise.

W

I'm only in yr 1 and already seeing a big difference in weight increase as in my last job I walked to work and back each day and was on my feet most of the rest of the day. My issue is finding time to get out and about and get more active! Good job on the swimming :) unfortunately I have young children so when 'm not studying I don't exactly have spare time for exercice. God only knows when I'm going to fit it in but inless I want to put on another 3-4 stone inthe next few years i'll have to. Any tips would be very welcome.

M

I feel for you Wowzers, because I am also struggling to find time to exercise.I recently started using one of the free calorie counting websites. I have marked my lifestyle as 'sedentary to light exercise' and count calories for everything I eat. I don't know if that might help you or anyone else in a similar situation, but at least I am trying to control the problem. Thank you for your encouragement Incognito.

W

Bought a dress slightly too tight to motivate me to fit in it for Christmas ha ha. I want to cut down on all the bread I seem to eat too! worst for me is eating late as my husband works long hours and I'm sure eating past 7pm is bad for weight gain. A friend told me to try youtube for free fitness clips and look for something called hte 30 day shred? Time for some exercise tonight! Calorie counting sounds like it might work for you good luck with it. :)

W

Marasp, forgot to add also try the app 'myfitnesspal' my friends said that really helped with calorie counting etc. :)

R

I am underweight, but I have high cholesterol :(

W

Started 30 day shred fitness routine. OMG I am so unfit. Stiff all over and after porridge for brekkie caved and had Mc Donalds for lunch but no extra snacks so that's good. Light tea tonight I think.