Masters in Business and Marketing

M

Hello, I'm a final year student in Interactive Media Design at Dundee (IMD) and i am looking for some guidance on possible future paths.

I enjoy creative work but i am by no means the worlds most gifted designer and still find myself approaching a lot of issues from a very logical and business stand point. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Masters in Business and Marketing are like.

I feel approaching the creative industry from the business point of view would suit me better, as it allows me to not only stay connected to the creative industry but gives me more scope for valuable career.

If anyone has/is/will be doing a masters in business and another creative subject, or has come from a creative background and moved in to the business sector and could provide any guidance it would be appreciated.

S

Hi mcghee85,

I haven't done an arty or business undergraduate or postgraduate course but seeing as no one else has replied (it is quite a small target audience) I thought I'd let you know what I think. I *do* have some experience from the design industry, however.

A business and marketing masters is a very good thing to have for pretty much any job applications and it would really open up other paths to you. Any jobs in the creative industry that are more business suited (i.e. the kind of jobs you sound like you want) will *definitely* like the look of an applicant who has a qualification in design AND a major qualification in business.

S

If it is a job for the business side of things, they're more likely to pick a business graduate over a design graduate but given someone that was both, that person would come up top trumps. Similarly, if you were to apply for a business job not in the design industry then a business masters graduate would be better than a business undergraduate. Also, if you decided to go into marketing then having an applicant who is well versed in the business side of marketing *and* understands the design side would really be a plus.
Basically, if you can afford to do it, it sounds like a great idea. :)

Hope that helps!

S

Hi I graduated from Dundee last year - psychology. And now going to do a postgraduate in Business Psychology and may go more into the business field after it. The course will be a bit different from marketing/business as it combines both business and psychology but I can always let you know later on this year, the type of modules that are more business orientated? It sounds though that you know what you want and what direction to take it in. Any course in business will be very worthwhile - very good career prospects if you make the right choices. S

W

======= Date Modified 19 Mar 2012 12:56:02 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by mods - advertising*