Minor corrections vs. Major corrections?

A

Does anybody have any concrete knowledge or experience on what, generally, constitutes minor corrections and what makes major corrections?

I am aware minor usually tends to mean "slight restructuring" or small additions to sections, but does somebody know exactly? Such as, how much is one usually required to re-do if they are given major corrections after a viva?

Any experiences?

J

minor corrections = you have 1 month to complete = normally typos, adding clarification of points, rephrasing etc, possibly adding more/different analyses for one or two things - ie nothing major and probably all doable in one week.
Major corrections = you will have 6 months to complete = much more work needed, possibly need to do more data collection or rewrite an entire chapter eg redo the intro and add in much more literature etc.

hopes this helps!

M

Slightly different timeframes last time I looked at my rules:
Minors: two weeks/one month (many people get minor corrections done in the few hours after the exams). Minors normally means polishing up the work eg. grammar/spelling problems, referencing problems, clarifications, or adding a few paragraphs here and there. Normally, minors mean you can pencil in the corrections and do not need to get your thesis re-bound. I think when it gets to the point of adding new sections etc. it would then fall into major corrections.
Majors:3 mths or 18 mths (candidate has the choice which to opt for), this can mean full re-writes or adding new chapters.

D

in some uni's minors are anything up to 3 months. majors 6 - 12. It will say in you uni regs

A

Unlike the others below, I got minor corrections and 6 months to do them in - and yes - the thesis does have to be rebound (pencil won't do). It really depends on your institution - read your regs carefully.

D

I actually got major corrections, although the reason for this was (they said) because I was part-time and they wanted to give me 12mths to resubmit. There was some re-writing - the abstract and discussion section, and a few points for clarification, nothing I'd deem "major". The corrections actually only took a couple of weeks in the end.

The form at my uni didn't have the words "minor" or "major" written on it, just "pass with corrections", the timescale - <6mths, 6-12mths, and the process for resubmission.

As with everything PhD related, it's pretty subjective and down to both the examiners and the institution to decide. I really wouldn't worry too much about it, even if it takes 12mths to correct, it's not long in the scheme of things. Good luck!
Damo

S

Has anyone else come across corrections graded into 10 levels? According to my colleagues, level one is no corrections, 2 is minor, 3 is major but not a resubmission, 4 is major with resubmission (3 of my colleagues are doing that now), and 10 is an outright fail. I don't know how levels 5-9 pan out (and I hope I don't find out - still awaiting viva date :p )