Mortgage

S

Hi, I have read the posts regarding the difficulties in getting a mortgage whilst doing post grad etc. My situation is a little different and I am wondering if anyone else has a similar one and any advice. I currently have a mortgage, the deal will end in June 10 and I will be looking to get another mortgage. My circumstances will have changed from salaried when I took out the mortgage to bursary/career development loan when applying for a re-mortgage. I don't have an expensive property and any mortgage payments would be very similar to any rental outgoings I would have as a student. Anyone been in this situation and happy to pass on what happened?

Many thanks

A

When your current deal ends you will, presumably, then automatically go onto the mortage providers standard repayment rate.
Some of these are not too shabby at the moment.
I would check out what this is before I worry about finding a new provider.
As you no longer have a salary, you will not be elligible for the very best deals, i'm afraid. You may be as well staying where you are.

P

I will be in exactly the same situation at the same time and have planned just to carry on with the lender's variable rate when the fixed rate finishes. If interest rates stay pretty much the same, then this should actually reduce the mortgage payments. I will have officially finished my funded Phd by then but I don't expect to have a high paid job by then as will still be writing up, so I probably would not have much chance of getting a different mortgage from another provider. Plus my ex-husband still owns half the house and I don't think he could be bothered to have to deal with all the hassle again, especially as we aren't together.

P

The advice that I've been given mirrors what others have said here, below. You're basically fine unless interest rates shoot up and you need to renegotiate your deal...

S

Hi, thanks to you all for your responses. I have checked out my lender's variable rate and it is not as bad as it was when I took out the mortgage originally - fingers crossed it doesn't creep back up.