MSc and PhD in between

L

I am trying to find out a small course I could do for a few months while try to get on a PhD.

I was thinking of maybe a level 3 course that would help me develop my communication skills, i'm asking if anyone has done something similar.

I'm also worried if I start doing a course that is done in the day more than once, could it impact my availability to start a PhD?

I know i could finish on the course, but obviously I don't want to start something else and not finish it!

any help very much appreciated.

E

Is another course really the best thing to be doing to help you get a PhD, or would some work experience (voluntary if need be) be better?
This depends on your subject area and previous experience, but if you have a Masters then courses/qualifications is unlikely to be your main area of shortcoming as a PhD candidate.
If you really mean communication in the transferable skills sense (rather than specific skills gaps in english or IT, in which case try adult education evening classes) then most employment/volunteering can be used to work on and demonstrate this. More specific suggestions would depend on your subject.

L

its gonna a few months till I get on a PhD, with the time I wanted to brush up my communication skills (paticular in presentation)

If I start a full time job (or even part time), that might hinder my chances of getting on a PhD, if I start doing something else.

C

don't see why it should hinder you, i got shortlisted for a PhD interview when working full time in a bar! and am currently working full time, and due to start a PhD this Autumn. That said if you can afford not to work, who would?!

A

Are you a serial qualificationer?

E

To be honest, so much of the PhD application process involves waiting around for supervisors etc to respond to your emails, if you treat it as a fullt-time occupation you'll go mad waiting. As long as wherever you're working is understanding enough to give you time off- and here again, voluntary work could be slightly more flexible- for actual interviews, it should be fine.

E

In fact, when potential supervisors wanted me to come and meet them in advance of the department's formal interviews, I explained that I was currently working so they arranged to meet me early on the morning of the interview instead. They were pretty understanding, and I felt a lot happier in my applications having spent the few months since my MSc working- not even in a relevant field, but able to talk about some "tranferrable skills" developed- than if I'd been twiddling my thumbs waiting for the PhD to start; but if you're in the lucky position of not needing to be in paid work, then you're incredibly lucky because you can do internships/volunteering and get some really relevant experience.

E

Also, this will vary with subjects and funding bodies, but the bulk of PhDs will start in October or January, so if you do find a suitable short course, take those as potential finishing dates.

One last tip: communication skills sounds very much like the sort of thing offered as a transferable skills course as part of a PhD programme, so if you can't find a stand-alone course, then look at the skills programmes in your prospective Universities. Interviewers seem to like it when you show an interest in these transferrable skills programmes at interview, and they also like asking what your weakness is- so being in a position to answer that with, "I'm not very confident in my presentation skills at the moment, but I've looked at your transferable skills courses and see I would have the opportunity to improve in this area" would not put you in a bad position.

L

That is the sort of the in between experience i'm looking into, i'm just trying to find some courses that relate to transferable skills at my local college, the courses may level 2 or 3 (possibly an AS / A Level) or just a certificate.

i'm wanted to get a head start and find something that would help me get onto a PhD, once I get that important interview!

A

IMHO getting some relevant work experience (paid or voluntary) is more likely to help with securing a PhD position than doing a 'transferable skills' type course. Any job is going to develop communication (if not presentation) skills, and more effectively than doing a course because you can say you have demonstrable experience.