MSc/MA in Development Studies

B

Hello everyone. I'm in a bit of a jam here. I finished my Political Studies BA in 2006 and left the world of academics and got a regular job. I always thought about going back to school and now the bug has really bit me and I can't shake it. Right now I have a government job... a job that in theory is supposed to make the world a better place but in reality is totally unable to do so. I do not feel proud of my work or feel like I am being a net positive to the world at all.

I am interested in doing a MSc or MA in some kind of development-ish field. I know, kind of cheesy, typical bleeding heart student type who wants to run off to Africa and save starving people. I may or may not do that, but I would like to do something worthwhile in one way or another. Is that so unrealistic? (maybe?)

Ideally, I would get a job with a charity or NGO (or maybe a right minded government organization, although they are rare). Or perhaps I would continue and get a PhD and teach.

My questions for the kind folks here is, firstly, how realistic is getting a related job with a NGO etc with a masters or PhD in a development related field? The last thing I want to do is go back to school to pursue a career in a field which is almost impossible to get into.

Secondly, how hard is it to secure a fully funded PhD if I do secure the masters degree? Are there many programs out there? How competitive are they?

If anyone can offer any advice, I would appreciate it.

-Matt

C

I'm not in your field so I'm sorry I can't answer many of your questions. But just wanted to ask, have you tried looking at NGO's websites at their vacancies and looking at the requirements for working with them? It'll differ from organisation to organisation due to NGO's being independent but it might give you a better idea. It could be that you can work for one without a masters or PhD and save yourself the trouble and expense.

I'm a scientist so funded PhD's are the norm with me, but I'm guessing in political fields funding may be harder to come by. Again it's best to look at findaphd.com and look for PhD's advertised in your field, it will say whether they are funded or not there.

And always make sure you are certain about a PhD, I did mine because I loved my subject, I haven't really gained any employability from it at all in my field. I don't regret it, but if you are going into it looking for employability really check your field to see if this is the case.

B

This is actually quite tricky as there are some Development Studies MAs that are really well thought of e.g. Sussex but they seem to prefer people with some development experience. I've always heard that the best way into development work is to save up enough money to survive for 6 months and head off to the regional NGO hub of the continent of your choice and start volunteering to get the in the field experience, you need to have a good chance of later employment. I don't know whether that appeals? I think if not look for a MA with a placement option. I'd also do what Caro said about checking websites for vacancies.
Funded PhDs in politics / development exist but there's not that many. Most are funded through ESRC doctoral training centres. You need a really strong proposal, usually a 1st or a distinction at MA and a great supervisory team fit. There is a massive overproduction of Politics PhDs compared with academic jobs, so you have to be really good and lucky to get a lectureship these days. Definitely not for the faint-hearted.