MSc result, PhD etc Help and Advice Needed.

M

======= Date Modified 14 43 2009 09:43:28 =======
non applicable

B

My understanding is that it is hard. I was the first student ever on my Masters course to get a distinction.

But if you're getting around 68% you're not far off. Perhaps you'll find the dissertation easier to write than you expect? I think I was lucky that I picked a great topic for me and really got into it.

Good luck.

S

Hi, your uni should have documents that will explain the marking criteria, but yes, it is strict and certainly not easy to get a distinction. Your marks are really good, I found that my dissertation mark wasn't far off what my main marks were, I averaged 74 and my distinction was a 75 so it may well be that you get the 70 you need (I'm guessing its a 70 if its the same as the marking scheme at my uni). Is it long until you hear? I submitted Sept 15th (oh, its a year ago tomorrow - what a difference a year makes lol) and heard mid December. I do hope they don't keep you hanging on as long as that!

K

Different subject but the mark at our uni for a distinction at MSc is 70% (same as for a first at undergrad). Personally I knew a lot more people who got a distinction at Msc level than got a first at undergrad and I'm pretty sure the proportion getting a distinction is higher that for getting a first. But then again, the people doing the MSc were generally those who had a high 2.1 or first at undergrad level so were probably more likely to get 70% at Msc level anyway.....Good luck! KB

M

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I think I've just spent so long thinking about it, that I am now dissecting every error/mistake/weak point, and worrying myself unnecessarily. Have no long how long they will make me wait but I'm hoping not until December!

H

======= Date Modified 15 Sep 2009 10:35:01 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--inappropriate content--

S

Now this thread isn't going to make much sense and I did write a plea to stop this happeneing but I guess it was ignored!!