MSc Statistics - Recommendations?

T

Hi guys.
Dont all shoot the guy please :) i have just graduated in Mathematics and Statistics (2:1, they appealed for me but i was 1.3% shy of the first, grrr) and was looking to continue onto a MSc somewhere.

I have found courses at; Manchester, London School of Hygiene, Warwick, Lancaster, Essex, Kent, Leiceester and Southampton.

Do any of you guys know of a good Statistics course, or can any MSc Statistics students give me their opinions on the course they are studying at the University they are in.

I appreciate any help with this. Thanks in Advance

Tom

J

if you can get in, go to Lancaster or Warwick.

T

I know that Warwick is ranked very highly with regard to statistics but what about Lancaster? Why, in your opinion, is it a good place to study?

Tom

J

Lancaster has a really large statistics group and is home to some really talented statisticians. Within the Bayesian Statistics community in particular, the statistics group is very well known. You could learn a lot there.

T

hi guys,

I have decided to apply to Southampton University. MSc in Statistics with applications in Medicine. Seems like a decent setup and the course looks good, and theres the added bonus of being by the seaside lol.
Im just worried i wont get accomodation now though :(

Tom

T

Yes i noticed that Dan, i have applied to Manchester and Essex also as backups but Southampton would be great if i could get in there.

I decided i didnt want to goto lancaster as its quite far north, and its a bit grey and dreary up there in my opinion (no offence intended to anyone living/studying there though)

Wait until tomorrow now and phone Soton i guess.

Thanks for your help guys!

T

Hey again Dan.

Stats is by far the greatest subject i have ever studied. I enjoy it so much. I think the bug comes from passion for American sports. They keep stats on alot of things in their sports and i love to model situations to forecast/predict an unknown outcome. The satisfaction of getting the new observation with those 95% CI Intervals is awesome lol.

Thanks for your well wishes, i will let you know how i get on. If succesful im sure i will call on your assistance when i get stuck haha.

Thanks again chap.

Tom

G

I'm a Lancaster this forthcoming year and the camous can be very East German Council estate [ish]. That said there is a BIG building programme going on so now it rather resembles the Spanish Costa's circa 1970.

J

i played football against lancaster!

S

You WANT to come to Southampton? Are you crazy??? I've spent years trying to get out of this place! LOL

T

Hey Dan,

Not yet, i got an email saying they had recieved my application and references. They have forwarded it to the appropriate school. So im sat here awaiting a decision now. Kinda nervous but time will tell.

Thanks for asking Dan, i appreciate all your help.

Tom

T

haha, yes we do mate!!

its an amazing subject, so rewarding. Yet kind of hard to explain to people. I tell them i do statistics and they normally say..... oh so you record how many shots on target manchester utd had vs aston villa?

urgh lol

T

lol! you have no idea how many times i have heard that question.

the one thing i DO NOT want to be is a teacher.

T

im still not sure what i want to do exactly. Thats part of the reason for doing a masters, in order to gain more experiance in anumber of areas. Maybe i will like one area more than others and can look into that as a potential career.

Im looking forward to the challenge, but it is going to be just that, a challenge. We will have to see how it all works out.

Im 95% confident that statistics is the right choice for me

T

You are at Nottingham Dan? Where were you from originally?