My final push diary

P

Anyone else feel like they're turning into a blob sitting for so long?? I certainly do....

Ha, ha. Yes totally. If I don't have to go out anywhere I'll not wash my hair and just wear the same clothes. I'm eating crap and drinking constant tea and coffee.
I had a really productive day yesterday and was very excited about some research which seems to contradict what experts have previously said.
However today I have to mark essays and do a job application. I am then working for the next four days on my paid work and am annoyed that I can't carry on with my thesis. I'll try to do easy bits during my lunch breaks and in the evening of I'm not too tired.

S

yep! i'm feeling seriously porky at the moment! it doesn't help that thesis writing is stressful and comfort eating is way too tempting!

i've resolved to do the following when i have submitted;
1. finally get my wonky teeth sorted out and invest in an invisible brace (big treat as they are rather expensive)
2. start exercising again
3. stop eating cakes/biscuits/chocolate/crisps/anything nice!

oh god! it almost feels when you get to this point that you are just killing time waiting for your life to start again! :-)

P

Quote From snelison:

oh god! it almost feels when you get to this point that you are just killing time waiting for your life to start again! :-)

Tell me about it!:-)

B

I agree wholeheartedly about the 'killing time, waiting for life to begin.' I'm beginning to think 'no' is my middle name as anything remotely social and fun (which steers me away from laptop and just induces guilt) is met with 'no, can't.' I'm beginning to doubt I'll have any friends at this rate.

I've also begun to rename the PhD as the Persistent happiness Detractor! ! I mean, that is what I do for fun these days - rename things. OMG! I got to get out more.

After this I too vow to do the following:
Eat and drink lots and not feel at all guilty about it.
Have some damn fun! Go to gigs, theatre, art shows - get a bit of culture. Meet up with chums. Vow to not spend another weekend at home for at least 2 months!!
Exercise - anything will be more energetic that sitting on lardy bum doing PhD.
Have a holiday. Anywhere. Or maybe several.
The list of 'things to do after PhD' is getting pretty big this end......seems to be the only carrot which is keeping me going.

So, 6 weeks today til final submission. Still soooooo much to do. Grrr.
Good luck all....

R

Hi Pam, can I join?!
I haven't been on the forum in a while but am feeling exactly the same - so so much to do and working 3 days a week - not sure I can make the deadline but hopefully this will help keep motivated!
so far today, I have stared at my screen.....

P

Welcome Ribenagirl. When do you submit? It's so hard when you still have to do 'proper' work. I get annoyed when I am sitting around during quiet periods at work when I know I could be doing something more productive.
After a full day today and tomorrow, I pretty much have a clear run till submission so will make the most of it.

R

submitting end of August.... I have the same when I'm at work feeling like I could be getting on with it is so annoying, but then I have clear days like today where I just can't get in the 'groove'!

We'll get there! :)

S

I so hear you all on the blob factor - I've been trying to lose weight since January and have lost nearly 2 stone now, but still soooo much bigger than I want to be, and I know that most of it is because I'm sat here working. I also do paid research work and have to work 3 days a week on one job and another on a second - I hate that I can't just push on and finish this darned thing. I try to exercise, I run (or did until I tore my quad) and have a race next weekend, but even that worries me - a day in London with less than a month to submission.... when did I forget to have a life?

It hit me this morning that I have to submit THIS month.... it is less than a month to go now - argggghhhhh - I STILL don't have my final draft back, I'll get that during this week. I've spoken to my sup and he says its ok but there are a few bits need tidying up etc (read a ton of work to do lmao). I finished my conclusion last week and sent that over, I'm working on my bibliography today - I'd done, but it seemed a bit short, then I realised I'd missed half of it off! argggghhh lol.

P

Quote From stressed:

It hit me this morning that I have to submit THIS month.... it is less than a month to go now - argggghhhhh - .

OMG - that really puts it into perspective! This month. I'm at work wishing I was at home at my desk getting on with it. I need to make an early start tomorrow. I have got so much to do.

P

I've spent four days working at two other jobs, then yesterday finishing marking essays, and from 8am today on some other work. NOW I am going to concentrate on the thesis for the rest of the week and then take stock at the weekend with just three weeks to go from then. I am trying the classical music idea to see if that will keep me motivated and intelligent!

B

Pamw, that sounds knackering. I'm concentrating only doing the PhD at the mo but about a year and half ago I took leave of absence when I was working full-time although I still was dedicating 2 days a week to the PhD - I had loads of transcribing to do. It was very, very tiring. You must have loads of stamina!
I'm shattered all the time at the mo. Having loads of sleepless nights filled with worry! I've still loads to do. Finishing off re-writes of 2 empirical chapters today to send to supervisors tonight. Two chapters to re-structure and edit next week and a lit review to re-write as well as intro and discussion. 5 weeks til submission - eek! The thing is, I'm at that stage where I actually can't stand this horrible anxiety jumpy feeling about whether 'it's good enough' and the amount of hours I'm working is totally unsustainable. So why does it still feel like I'm not getting anywhere with it!!! 5 weeks it'll be in but in some ways would like another month! Even though I don't. Hmmmm. I feel that after all these years of work that it should be better. Not that I know what 'better' would look like. Perhaps that's a normal feeling at this stage....Hope everyone in the final push has productive day today.

BB(up)

C

Good luck!!! You can do it!!!! ^^

P

Hi Chrisrolinski, you haven't been on here for a while. How are things with you?

T

Hi guys. I too am on the final push, handin is three weeks Friday. Received comments back from supervisors and while first three chapters are good the last two need work. Going to be a mad push to be ready in time. My dos has been great to me over the last 2 and a bit years and I really don't want to let him down. How is everyone else getting on?

C

I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Sick of the sight of my thesis and scraping the barrell of motivation :( STILL have two chapters to write pretty much from scratch, though have one in very sketchy form. My thesis is going to be at least 10,000 words over the word limit, probably more, so now I'm worrying about how much editing I'll have to do! Hope the rest of you are all getting on well!! x