My final push diary

P

Keep going everyone. I've had a productive few days and written 3,000 words as part of my methodology and analysis chapter. I was getting really bogged down with terminology yesterday but kept at it until I had finished the section. I'm feeling positive at the moment, but still have a lot to do. I was getting exhausted but have family visiting this weekend. They were on holiday nearby so made sense for them to visit on the way back. I think some time off will do me good - shame about the horrible weather here though.
Back to work tomorrow (after watching the Wimbledon final though).

R

I feel the same Clementine - zero motivation! when do you want to submit?
I have so much to do I think I'll never get there, but then I could spend another year and still not not be happy so I should just push and hand it in, whatever state its in!

P

I've got this above my desk.

'The PhD is never finished, it is simply abandoned at its least damaging point.'

R

Quote From PamW:

I've got this above my desk.

'The PhD is never finished, it is simply abandoned at its least damaging point.'

I like it!!

C

I need to have a full draft submitted by 24th July and my hand in date is 24th Sept. What about you RibenaGirl?
Eeeeeeeeeeee. Do not want.

C

Can I join too, please? I'm the stereotypical eternal student that's been lurking around here for a while. Started FT, then moved to PT after I got a job connected to my research. PhD went on the backburner due to a directorship, new house and wedding... Back on the straight and narrow now. All chapters bar 2 currently with the supervisor. Big analysis chapter redrafted for Monday and then conclusions. Aiming for September, but am dreading the good old supervisor 'it's not there yet' feedback.... Redrafts + pretty high pressure job?! Can I do it?! I've no other choice!! Eek!!

R

I need to hand in 31st August..... starting to believe I can't make it but need to remain positive!

L

Well I have finished a first draft of my final chapter. 19,514 words in 23 days (19 writing days). It's a first draft but the overall structure is sound. Some areas need (theoretical) development but my argument is laid out and followed through. Need to write conclusion though but that will come when I can reflect on what I've written. The chapter is slightly descriptive in places (telling rather than evaluating) but that will develop with a little distance from the chapter for a day or two. Now is my favourite part: printing it out like an article and getting the red pen out and starting "thinking" it. Editing is my fav part of the process. I'll then present it to my sup (who's all holidays now lucky bugger) and see what I need to refine.

This leaves me 8 weeks for redrafting chapters 2 to 5. (I've just finished the revisions of chapter 1). It's doable, isn't it? Some days I think I'll definitely do it and somedays I think I've got so much to check over.

Keep going people!

P

Quote From larrydavid:

This leaves me 8 weeks for redrafting chapters 2 to 5. (I've just finished the revisions of chapter 1). It's doable, isn't it? Some days I think I'll definitely do it and somedays I think I've got so much to check over.

Keep going people!

It had better be do-able as I've got less than half the time you have and two chapters to redraft, one to finish, and a conclusion to write, plus all the accompanying images, graphs and appendices to sort out.
At the moment I am just sooooo tired. I had most of the weekend off as I had family visiting, which was nice as I did need a break. But now I just want to sleep all the time and if I do decide to have a nap, I wake up two hours later. I've got to get back into the routine I had last week.

A

it's amazing just how much you can do in the last few weeks - nearly there, guys(up)

B

Pamw,

I hear you! Had a wedding last friday and was working like a fiend to get two chapters to supervisors. I kind of abandoned them as I just couldn't look at them anymore and didn't have time what with wedding stuff to get sorted. Had a few days off over weekend - lots of sleeping and blink! Today is Wednesday and I've hardly done a thing. I've been feeling a bit unwell and like you, just keep sleeping. Meeting tomorrow with sups so today have 2 chapters to edit/re-structure. Will be a late one. 30 days til submission.....OMG! Still lit review to re-draft, intro to write from scratch and discussion/conclusion to re-draft after all the other bits and bobs have been done. I'm just hoping no printer problems happen on the penultimate day but knowing my luck, it will be a huge rush at the end... Good luck. Sleep is good but I can't wait for guilt free snoozing.......30 days to go!!!

S

Hi everyone, I so feel your pain! 16 days to submission here, and the strain is beginning to get to me. I've just finished the amendments requested after my final draft, but now have to do more editing and cutting and then the dreaded proof read. I had a bit of a day off writing today and tried to get to grips with the fiddly bits - contents page etc - I made a list for my acknowledgements, but then gave up on it. I had a day off on Sunday and did a 10k race in London - it was lovely to get away from it all, but its always lurking.

Why do such simple things take so much time? Am I alone is being so fed up with it now that I feel quite sick and tearful just opening Word?

I've also finally had my examiners confirmed, so its all go - a friend who submitted a month before I will has had her viva date set for the end of Sept, so I'd imagine that unless I'm very lucky I will be in limbo until October even when this is all done - the thought of that wait is just horrific!

I'd better get on - I want to get my list of figures and tables finished today - its taking forever!

T

I'm 16 days until submission too. I personally feel this has been the hardest part, finding the motivation to move things around and write mini-intros and conclusions. I much preferred when I was writing a 1,000 words a day- at least I knew where I was heading then! My viva is already booked for Sept so it's not an option that I'm not ready!

S

Hi Tegs - so you're on for the 27th too?? I know what you mean, I'm finding this last bit so hard - much harder than I thought it would be - so near but yet so far! It was much easier to keep going during the full write up - this bit is horrible. Hopefully we can help each other over the line :-) I've finished writing out my list of figures and tables - well, the titles, I can't put in the page numbers yet as that isn't formatted or ready - but it stretches to 4 pages! I've also prepared a contents page and am waiting on some feedback on some writing I did. There doesn't seem a huge amount that I can do until I get that feedback now.

T

Stressed- appropriate name! Yep I'm on for the 27th too. My DOS keeps getting back to me with updates on the work that I have done but I haven't received any feedback from my other two supervisors and at this late stage I can't imagine they are going too! While I was waiting for initial feedback I just sorted all my references and checked through all my quotes as there wasn't much else I could do. What is the focus of your thesis and what is your word count looking like?