My Viva Exame Date?

M

I had submitted my PhD thesis in December 2010. Today I came to know from my supervisor that my PhD viva will is going to be scheduled in March 2011. In my case I am running out of my stay in UK and I have to return back to my country by March 31, 2011. Please let me know how I can politely request my Internal and External examiners to arrange my viva sometime in Feb 2011.

So far Internal and external examiners did not contacted me with any date. I only came to know via my supervisor as he was cc in the email communication between internal and external examiners.

Your suggestions will help me.

M

any reply please

D

At my university I have been advised to attach a letter to the submission paperwork (for the examiners) regarding my availablility for the viva. I have three babies to get childcare for and hubby often works away. Based on this have you contacted your 'Academic office' and explained this situation to them? It may be that they can forward your availability to the examiners. Alternatively what does your supervisor suggest? It would not be advisable for you to contact your examiners directly as this could affect their eligability to conduct your viva. I would seek advice from the university directly. Hope this helps and good luck!

A

While it is not unreasonable to request a different viva date due to your unavailability, your internal and external may themselves be unavailable at another date. It could be that by requesting a date change the viva may be moved from March to another month altogether. I would seek advice from your university's academic advisory board (or equivalent) and lay out your situation to them. Having said that, if at all possible I would try to stick with the original date. Not that much help I know - it does seem unfair that you yourself have not been officially told the viva date.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you

A

C

You wouldn't go far wrong with just expanding upon what you've said in your initial post here.

You could ask for February or early March but the sooner you do it the better, diaries will be filling up every day.

Hope it works out for you, and all the best for your viva.

Chuff