nasty comments about co-student

M

While I was in a coffee shop on campus I accidentally over-heard two academics from my department (think 'humanities') talking about a certain co-student of mine who is doing a PhD and she is about 38 years old, single, no kids. The one said 'it's not like she is going to follow an academic career at her age' and the other one agreed. That shocked me! OK, she may be 39 or 40 when she completes her program but surely she can still follow an academic career. I hate age discrimination! Then I thought of myself. I am 32, I may be 33-34 when I complete my program, would academia see me in a similar manner (too old for an academic career?). Of course I am also thinking of my colleague, who is also a friend of mine. Should I tell her what was said about her behind her back? One of the academics who said so is her advisor.

D

No, don't tell her, as it would serve no purpose and might knock her confidence. Hopefully, she'll determine her own path in life and if she wants to be an academic I don't think her age should hold her back.

D

No, don't tell her, as it would serve no purpose and might knock her confidence. Hopefully, she'll determine her own path in life and if she wants to be an academic I don't think her age should hold her back.

E

Of course you shouldn't tell her. I appreciate your friend. I'm 31 and when I'll complete my program I'll be 32. Sometimes I feel that I'l old to start an academic career. But when I remember that my friends are still in master or in the first steps of PhD, I feel that I still have time. However, my PhD thesis has taken too long time because I'm married and have to take care of my demanding husband.

H

I hate age discrimination too!!! Does she has a second advisor? It's better not to tell her now, but if she does not receive enough support from her supervisor [i.e. because her supervisor think there's no point to give her sufficient support since he think she is unlikely to follow an academic career], perhaps you should speak to someone much higher about the conversation that you have heard.

Don't tell her or do anything unless there is clear evidence she is being held back or there is any bias against her. If anything is said or done, then the supervisor will know someone has made a remark about his comment and this may sour his relationship with the poor woman. The important thing for now is she gains her PhD.

If action needs to be taken, decide on this further down the line and go to whoever his department head is but only if necessary.

Many people start on a particular career path later in life and the age they start should not be an issue. If they decide it is going to be an issue when say she applies for a post-doc, if she becomes aware her age has been made an issue (either as either of these people as a referee or part of an employment panel) then she should be able to take action at that stage.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

M

You see, I am in a very difficult situation. First because I have no proof that these academics said so (even though they clearly mentioned her name) and second because I could even be accused of making things up. This is a good reason not to mention anything to her, but the whole incident makes me deeply disappointed. An advisor who is supposed to be standing by the student bitching about the student behind her back. I know, I know... gossip material is everywhere in academia, but I have been left with a bitter taste in my mouth, about how disgusting academia can be. Moral of the story? Trust no one!

B

======= Date Modified 01 Nov 2012 14:58:26 =======
Afraid I have a different take on this. I don't see it as bitching, but more a realistic assessment in these academics' eyes. If they were bitching I'd expect far more criticism of her as a person and of her work. Not a discussion of her likely career progress.

Now it's wrong that they should assume that someone aged 39 or 40 would not be in a position to start an academic career. I have a very big issue with that part of this. But otherwise I don't see their actions as that wrong, or that dissimilar from what I saw a lot as a postgraduate student myself.

Absolutely 100% do not tell her. It would only upset her and cause unnecessary ructions. And not be of any help to her at all.

Quote From BilboBaggins:

Afraid I have a different take on this. I don't see it as bitching, but more a realistic assessment in these academics' eyes. If they were bitching I'd expect far more criticism of her as a person and of her work. Not a discussion of her likely career progress.

Now it's wrong that they should assume that someone aged 39 or 40 would not be in a position to start an academic career. I have a very big issue with that part of this. But otherwise I don't see their actions as that wrong, or that dissimilar from what I saw a lot as a postgraduate student myself.

Absolutely 100% do not tell her. It would only upset her and cause unnecessary ructions. And not be of any help to her at all.

Bilbo, if this was an assessment of her prospects based on ability then fair enough though even then I'd be a little more careful who was within earshot (i.e. private discussion).

However, they are assessing her based on age and not ability. That to me is the issue.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

D

Quote From BilboBaggins:

======= Date Modified 01 Nov 2012 14:58:26 =======

Actually, I agree with BilboBaggins - well said BilboBaggins. I suppose my hope is other academics are not so short sighted as regards age.

M

I see your point, but to me, nobody has the right to judge someone or someone's progress or future career options on the basis of age, sex or race. And I agree, a coffee place is not the right place to discuss such sensitive matters. Now, there are plenty of academics who start their academic career later in life and they do perfectly well. I know of an academic who completed her PhD in her early 30s, got married, had a couple of children and then started teaching at university at age 42. And my supervisor (a man) started teaching in academia when he was in his early 40s.

======= Date Modified 01 Nov 2012 15:35:00 =======
======= Date Modified 01 Nov 2012 15:34:30 =======
This is frightening! As I am 43 and very much hope to pursue and academic career when I finish - hopefully next summer.

It's such shame academics think this way. I mean we will al be working until 70 the rate pensions etc are going, so that mean 25 plus years in the career- enough for anyone, surely.

On the plus side, I know of someone who got his first permanent lecturing post in his late 50s (he is about to retire so I am stalking his job... but that is another story). And my first supervisor got her first full-time permanent post at 51, she was in her mid 40s when she got her first .5 post.

M

By the way UK law is with us on this one. When we apply for jobs we do not mention date of birth nor family status.

L

Definitely no. You should not tell her as this will affect her self esteem. Having high self esteem is important in completing a PhD and I know how it feels like when you get to know that your supervisor looks down on you. So, don't tell her. What other people say about her doesn't have to be her reality!

You should forget about this too Marasp. Don't keep the negative energy in you. It'll drain you.

I'm am 32 years old too this year and will be 33 when I graduate (if I ever graduate) and start my academic career. Its my decision to choose this path and who cares about what other people say? It's my life.

I agree, you shouldn't tell her. It won't do her any good, all it will do is knock her confidence and nobody needs that.

Actually, I'm really surprised to hear that this was overheard anyway - it just seems like a totally inaccurate assessment of this woman's prospects. I'm finishing my PhD now at (eek) 39, and really don't expect my age to be an issue. Maybe it's different in my field - cross-disciplinary and very applied - but people with life experience before they took their PhD are seen as having some advantages over their younger colleagues, in terms of different viewpoints, ability to mix with lots of people, non-academic skills etc.

As to job applications etc not having ages on them - well, that's true, but all people have to do is look at the dates when you gained your first qualifications (assuming the earliest ones listed on the form were taken when you were about the usual age for that qualification) and some basic maths will tell them roughly how old you are....