need help as new Ph.D student

W

I am a new Ph.D student in electrical engineering, still on going to submit the Ph.D research proposal on next semester.
The criteria for the research topic are original and have the contribution to the theory and community. How can I know that my research topic have fulfill the criteria? I have downloading many articles and journals (IEEE), and also patent including thesis /dissertation relating with my topic. Is is enough if I just refer to those downloading materials to know whether my topic are original and have the contribution to the theory and community?

M

I won't be of much help I'm afraid (mainly due to not knowing anything about your subject!) but I'm guessing you'll probably be getting more constructive feedback from your potential supervisor or contact at the university you intend to apply for.

Good luck

S

Waye,
Got 2 ur LRC and borrow ‘’How to get a PhD’’, A handbook for students and their supervisors’. It describes in detail what it meant by originality. It’s written by two authors who conduct training for doctoral students and supervisors & design doctoral programmes. One of them had hefty experience in successfully supervising PhD students. Phillips and Pugh.
Cheers, mate

A

I'm reading that book! I figure, if I read the book, I must get a PhD or there is some kind of fraud going on.

It's very good on the topic of originality (which is something I was worried about to begin with as well).

A