need to decide!!

L

Hi!
I am new to this forum, but really happy to find it. The reason is that I have arrived at such a point in my life that its now or never for me.
I am a postgrad in microbiol, & was intending to pursue my Ph.d. However, there were certain inevitable circumstances that didn't allow me to leave the state I am living in. So I started working in research and dev sector in a biotech firm.
I have been an average student, and have faired pretty well in my profession as well. I never took a break after my postgrad,and am still working. I am 27 years old now having worked for ard 5 years.
Things are better now personally and there is nothing stopping me from moving out of my state/country (unlike my previous situation). However, now I am in dilemma if I should leave my job for a phd or not? Also, after this 5 yrs break, do I stand good chance of getting a phd? Can my age be a concern?

I wud like to have an honest opinion.I am also assessing my situation at my end. Your inputs would be of great help.

S

I think your age is no probalem at all, especially as you have continued to gain experience in a relevant area. I suppose the big question is whether it will be worth the effort - will it enable you to do something, professionally, that you want, that you can't do otherwise (and that will make the studying and drop in income worthwhile).

C

I started my PhD in October aged 26 (27 now) I worked for 4 years post uni too.I'm glad I had a break rather than going straight on with studying and it helps that a started in a financially secure position rather than scraping the bottom of my overdraft (which is where I'd be if I hadn't worked first. I like to think I'm older and wiser but I don't think I am really!

H

Hell, I started my PhD at the age of 29, after 5 years with the NHS. Age is no limit, probably a bonus. Ask yourself WHY you want three years of cynical insomnia, that would be the real question!

B

hi! I'm new in this forum. I'm and italian PHD student(30 years)I will finish my PHD on the end of october pv and I would like to do a new esperience in an other lab in other country, but it difficult to decide where and the field of research. I'm looking in "nature jobs" and have found many opportunity of research. what do you think about USA or Europe research? thanks soon beppe

L

Hi folks!
Thanks for the replies. It feels good to know that there are people out there who have done the same thing..
But it is right that I have to weigh my choices well. There is not a great obvious advantage of leaving my job for a phd, but then I always aspired to do a phd. Also, in the long run, it might help me to climb up the ladder more easily. Thats what I feel. Anyone who feels the same?

K

Well, Leenu, I can relate to your dilemma or multilemma so to speak. It took me 6 months to decide if to take up a PhD offer after date of offer, I was torn btn an attractive promotion at work and the PhD I even had to defer the latter to the 2nd sem of the academic year and fast fwd here I am 8 months into it now. A PhD is like a calling, a magnet you can't resist - you know you want to do it though all objectivity probably says otherwise, so all advice is useless...GO FOR IT! YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!!! At least that represents my experience and though still early times, I don't think I regret it. Money or the box?

J

Hi,

Happy to be part of the family. I'm very new to this, but I'm a quick learner. I'm a graphic designer & wildlife artist & I build World War 2 tanks and halftracks down to the dioramas. Hope I can lend some creativity and learn from you professionals. Love all aspects of racing, and in particular, what you do here,

Thanks.
[url="http://www.oil-paintings-reproductions.com"]oil painting[/url].

J

Hi,

Happy to be part of the family. I'm very new to this, but I'm a quick learner. I'm a graphic designer & wildlife artist & I build World War 2 tanks and halftracks down to the dioramas. Hope I can lend some creativity and learn from you professionals. Love all aspects of racing, and in particular, what you do here,

Thanks.

D

Hi - think I'm in similar position. I got a good first degree, and considered going straight in a PhD - however I didn't have a topic, and thought I'd just do a technicla job and save a few ££. Also, in engineering, you don't need a PhD at all to do almost all the jobs, so in these circumstances a PhD may be considered excessive. However, after having been in research for a few years, what passes for 'research' in industry is often very thin, and lacking in detail or insight, and I am now very motivated to fit in a PhD in my career, provided I can hone the topic. There is a financial cost, but as someone else said, its like a calling, sth that has to be done.