need to improve my diet

O

Well here I was reading on the web ( because my brain is so dull today I did not get a whole lot done after the weekend marathon!) about how much protein you need in your daily diet, to come to the horrible realisation I am not getting anywhere near enough protein! And I had thought I was doing well! I know protein can come from both plant and animal sources, but even so the combination I am getting is not even enough for the recommended daily minimums... scary!

I eat meat, but don't like to cook it, and don't eat a lot of it. I need to find some good soy substitute meat but to get to a store that carries that means walking about three miles one way and I never feel up to the task.

P

Most supermarkets deliver these days, olivia--although I think it's good to get out when you can! I try and get to our local farmer's market most saturdays, the meat/veg is has good provenance and is often cheaper than the equivalent in the s'market.
I have emergency cauldron (veggie brand) sausages in the fridge, and make bean chillis, lentil casseroles etc.

O

I go to the local outdoor market a few times a week for fruit and veg and even fresh bread. They also have fresh meat and fish, but the smell of the meat is off putting and its just tooo...raw...I could never cook it or eat it! Unfortunately they do not have meatless options .... I will look into the delivery from the grocery store, that is a good idea, thanks.

H

I think it's suprising how little protein adults actually need. I think it's less than 50g for an adult female. You can get this by eating a cup of sprouted lentils (high quality protein). Some of the cooked meat you eat is a waste and not considered highly quality protein.

H

Olivia, try Quorn! High in fibre, low in fat!

C

speaking of quorn (which i love) is it true it's banned in america?

H

No, I don't think it is. I've never heard that!

I know some people can have allergic reactions (if allergic to eggs or mushroom products) though. Don't see why it would be banned.

C

fresh tofu is nice, but fairly expensive for a student budget.

S

I use the cauldron range (they do some nice marinated tofu for stir fries) and quorn. I get a bit fed up with quorn though. I like to get a lot of fish but it is very expensive.

R

Quorn is not banned in America. If you go here: http://www.quorn.com/
you will see that America has its own quorn site.

The US is the only North American country to carry it.

O

Try Chickpeas - they're brimming with high quality amino acids (all good protein) and you can chuck them into soup, stews and salads - lovely, nutty & low GI. Zap them in the blender with garlic & Tahini for yummy hommous dip. A miricle food and cheaply bought dried or in cans. Bon appetit