No response from Unis. for the MRes/PhD proposals

B

I am applying for a MRes programme in Management. I am in full time employment as a senior exec with a tech. company and will be doing this part time. I have done the usual thing of scanning the uni's website and reaching out to the profs. with exploratory emails (all done based on how to write such emails guides from the web !) and where appropriate with 2 full blown research proposals. But no response yet and not even an acknowledgement. Wondering what I should do differently. Also thinking if my age (40 years) and experience (17 years) is actually a disadvantage - too old to do a Master in Research? I am looking to do this research in Management area. Any guidance from the forum members will be greatly appreciated.

H

When did you send the emails? July-Sept tends to be a difficult time to get hold of academics - as well as holidays it's conference season, supervision time for MSc students and preparation time for the start of the new academic year. So people might not be on top of their emails.

I'd caution against sending unsolicited research proposals. At best they may be ignored by busy professors; at worst your might find your ideas being pilfered.

I'm a little unsure from your post whether you have actually applied for a formal MRes programme. Usually there would be no need to approach supervisors directly in advance.