Not being referenced/co-authored

T

======= Date Modified 11 Apr 2011 14:14:33 =======
Hi guys,

Please I need your candid advice asap. I am in the second year of my PhD at a research institute, I am being funded by by the university though. Well, to cut to the chase, during my MSc placement at the same research institute, with all modesty, I was able to develop a separation method, and my industrial supervisors expressed interest in publication. The method development procedures and results were documented only in my thesis of which a hard copy was given to my industrial supervisor.

At my return for a PhD in the same institute, my industrial superivisor at the institute requested for the electronic version of my MSc thesis that he doesn’t seem to have it, which I obliged. Last week, he sent an email around that the work has been published, I was excited thinking that at least I would be mentioned as a co-author or acknowledged since I did the major work of the project. To my utter surprise, I was not mentioned at all in the whole publication, and the worst part is that, part of the paper was "uplifted" from my thesis.

I feel betrayed and taken for a fool, he didn’t ever mention to me that he was publishing, look at the way he made me to give my electronic version of thesis. I am disturbed because he is also part of my supervisory team, I hardly sleep. What do I do folks, what are my rights? Should I take a legal action or pretend as if nothing happened? don’t forget, other people were mentioned in the publication except me, well, they are staff of the organisation.

======= Date Modified 11 Apr 2011 11:57:00 =======
I'm minded of anther thread on here I've been involved in, which actually changed my views of my own actions in the past with a bad post-doc.  If things are going well and you are otherwise getting on with your supervision team, don't rock the boat.  The main thing in your life professionally is your PhD and you need to work with people for the next three to five years.

If you do plough in and start complaining, then that will certainly sour your relationship with your supervisors.  The only way I would resort to this move is if one supervisor knows what has happened and is prepared to support a change in supervision team.  However, you may get someone who doesn't know your subject.

At my old University, one of the other groups had a supervisor who regularly published his student's work without listing them as a co-author or acknowledging them.  Whilst it is professional courtesy, some do use their position to abuse the situation.  He basically published the data as his own work though the candidates did in the end get their MPhils and PhDs.  Fortunately, my supervisor was not like that.

You are there to do a PhD and if that is the most important thing to you, let this pass and concentrate on your work.

If this potential theft of work (keeping in mind the other thread I mentioned - it may just be an accidental omission of your name, so don't jump to conclusions) threatens your PhD, then that becomes a more serious matter and then I would complain.

Publishing your own work once you've nothing more to do with this person after your PhD is finished might be an option to pull back 'some ownership'.  But don't opt for full blooded revenge or opt for a course that may damage any future career.

Box clever so to speak.
;-)

B

When you say this is your industrial supervisor who has published your work, is this something like a PhD sponsored by a firm? If so, I'd advise talking to your academic supervisor and getting his/her take on this - just say that you're a bit confused by what has happened and could he/she explain where or with whom the intellectual copyright to your work resides. I know SOME industry-funded PhDs have odd intellectual copyright agreements attached although this does seem excessive - does your contract / letter of appointment say anything enlightening perhaps?

======= Date Modified 11 Apr 2011 08:41:56 =======

Quote From bewildered:

When you say this is your industrial supervisor who has published your work, is this something like a PhD sponsored by a firm? If so, I'd advise talking to your academic supervisor and getting his/her take on this - just say that you're a bit confused by what has happened and could he/she explain where or with whom the intellectual copyright to your work resides. I know SOME industry-funded PhDs have odd intellectual copyright agreements attached although this does seem excessive - does your contract / letter of appointment say anything enlightening perhaps?

Fair comment. A private chat at this stage seems to be the way to go.

It may just be a mistake that tintedemma's name has been left off at the end of the day.

As I said, I wouldn't rock the boat too much at this stage as the main thing is the PhD itself and getting on as far as possible with the current supervisory team.

(Note: slight re-edit of original post - I shall not type a message in when half asleep!!!)

T

Hi guys,
Thank you for all your advice. I had a conversation with my academic supervisor today. He was disappointed to say the least at the action of the industrial supervisor, i.e. publishing my thesis without referencing nor acknowledging me nor my university. However, she wanted me to stay calm and focused on my present PhD. So I would have to pretend that nothing has happened and that I am not bothered, hoping that I would not be provoked in any way.