Not heard after postdoc interview - OK to email the PI?

E

Hi there, was hoping for some advice.
I went for a postdoc interview last Monday. The interviews went on all week as they said they would contact me early next week (now this week). The job is supposed to be starting in 3 weeks time.

Its now only Tuesday but I have a problem. My contract at my current workplace ends in 2 weeks and my PI needs to know asap if I have not got the job so he can then start the process of extending the contract. With Xmas coming up things are very tight! I realise it is only Tuesday (still early in the week) but I wondered if I should send an email asking if I got the position or not.

I was asked to interview by someone from HR, but I have emailed the PI to say thank you for the interview (and he did email back). So would I send this email directly to him, or to HR?

From what my current PI says, I should have heard by now if I had got it (when he gave me my current job I was called 2 hours after the interview ended). I'm not sure if it is normal to not hear for 2-3 days if you have been successful? My PI seems to think not.

I don't want to be pushy about this new position (I really want the job!) but if we don't start the process of extending my contract this week then I'll be completely without a job....

Chances are I'll hear about the post tomorrow but if not I could really do with the advice about sending that email
Thanks

T

I would send the email Thursday or Friday.

After my PhD interview I heard back after 4 hours and after my postdoc interview the next evening.

I would email him and HR and ask... you never know which one may reply first if you need to know urgently!

E

Thanks. I emailed. I didn't get the job :( But at least my current PI still wants to keep me :)

T

Yep, that's the main thing, you still have a job!