not submitted thesis - PhD withdrawal

A

Hey Zoya - counselling seems your best route.
If you were a friend of mine telling me these things I'd say "If you want to get a job that is not academia simply put on your cv 6years of being a mother while studying for a PhD".
It's highly unlikely not getting the PhD (in industry) will make any difference to your chances of landing the role.
In time you will feel better and look back at this and wonder what all the fuss was about.
AOE26
P.S I have had a very ill child and nothing compares to that. No matter what struggles I have I know they are not remotely close to how bad watching your child suffer is. In a weird way it has given me a resolve I never knew I had.

Quote From AOE26:
Hey Zoya - counselling seems your best route.
If you were a friend of mine telling me these things I'd say "If you want to get a job that is not academia simply put on your cv 6years of being a mother while studying for a PhD".
It's highly unlikely not getting the PhD (in industry) will make any difference to your chances of landing the role.
In time you will feel better and look back at this and wonder what all the fuss was about.
AOE26
P.S I have had a very ill child and nothing compares to that. No matter what struggles I have I know they are not remotely close to how bad watching your child suffer is. In a weird way it has given me a resolve I never knew I had.

Hi Zoya, I'm really sorry to learn of your difficulties and the current outcome. I hope that you understand that this could be any of us really-it must be an incredibly tough time for you at the moment. I think you have been given some excellent advice by many participants here and might need to time to process things anyway so won't add too much more.
I agree with AOE26's suggestions as well in that I would state on my resume that I spent six years looking after my children (one of whom was ill) and I studied for a doctorate during this time and then focus on the MSc and work experience. Whiie I think University counselling might be a short term solution, possibly a counsellor or psychologist that was not with the university and could support you through the long haul might be something to consider when you are ready.

While this might not be terribly helpful to state right now, I know personally of many fine and wise people who have begun and not finished their PhD for many very good reasons, and some of whom, some years later who began again and completed. Best wishes and be as kind to yourself as you would to others.