Offices for PhD students

S

Hi,

Do all PhD students(whether they are research assistants or not)get a room at the departments? Is this something one has to discuss before registration?

A

I think it's highly unlikely that you will be allocated a whole room to yourself. It's much more common for students to share office space (either with other students or with post-docs etc).

S

So it means that all PhD students have desks, rooms even not personal ones..

A

You will generally be provided with the work space required for your project (be that lab space and/or office space). However, many departments are overcrowded and space is at a premium and people have to share facilities. It's worth asking at interview about this if you are concerned.

H

I share a large office/comp lab with about 15 other people.

However at the beginning of last year, I met a humanities PhD student who was complaining about lack of desk even though she was about to start year 2 of her PhD. The graduate centre is very good at Sheffield though and there are a number of desks available.

J

I am one of four in the office.

A

If it is really important to you to have a desk, then yes, you need to ask about before you sign up to do the PhD. Where I am it varies from school to school. Seems to be more likely that sciences students get a desk. For the humanities, some have a desk in a shared office, some have access to a computer room reserved for PhD students, some have nothing ...

S

FT PhD student have a desk, but as I'm PT I get zip

Some secure shelving would have been useful

S

It does indeed vary, but most have a basic standard of provision such as a computer and a desk and maybe a telephone. But some unis are better at this than others.

B

I'm just starting the 3rd year of my PhD and I don't get a desk, never mind an office! (Although that might be cos I'm doing English.)

B

I'm just starting the 3rd year of my PhD and I don't get a desk, never mind an office! (Although that might be cos I'm doing English.)

S

I share an office with my supervisor! :o (plus a postdoc and another PhD student)