Oscillating between super-confidence and hopelessness

M

As I proof read this mammoth effort, I'm one minute feeling like I've produced THE single best thesis ever. The next, I read a couple of paragraphs and think, 'this is just sh*t. Absolute waffle.'

Is this normal?

W

Ha ha! Yeah, I'd say that's normal. I've just been reading my article that I eventually managed to get published and wished I was a skilled hacker who could log break into the internet server it's on and just take it off! It feels like I've got my end of year topic from primary school published.

Q

When I saw the title of your thread I thought 'that is me!!' I am reading and editing my massively overlong Lit Review and spend all my time either congratulating myself on being the next jane austen, or wondering how I even managed to pass my A Levels. If anyone knows how to stay on an even keel, please reveal!

D

I think everyone feels like this. I've never thought my work is any good. Then again, I have no intention of going back to research so I don't care either who reads my thesis and what they think of it :p

P

I've been flip flopping from one to t'other as well. I don't think there's any avoiding it. It happens for me because I see something I've written about one of the experiments and think, "How did I not see that problem coming?", and then I perk up on the next paragraph because I've managed to wedge in an awesome post hoc explanation that covers it all up!