Over-60 Looking for Funded PhD

J

I am over 60 and living in Wales. Not eligible for Student Finance due to age. I will have an MArt to support my application, when I make one. I need to know if it is realistic to look for a PhD funded outside the student loan system (PhDs are now funded in Wales via SFW) and welcome any advice and direction on making this a reality.

P

Like anyone else, you are not going to know until you try I'm afraid and it will depend on your area of interest.
This website is a good place to start looking for fully funded positions as is jobs.ac.uk

Of course the question you are not asking is the one you really want answered. No I don't think your age will be a problem :-) People of all ages do PhDs.

Yeah I agree with pm133, age won't be a problem with most supervisors or unis. They don't really care about you being too old. Though as you said funding might be the limiting factor.

K

To me it sounds like your location may be a bigger issue than your age. Most UK PhDs are RC funded and age is not a deciding factor. But you may need to relocate. Good luck!