Over-preppin', over-stressin' - am I the only one that does this?

G

Hi guys.

Is there anybody at all out there like me that stresses constantly about pretty much everything?! I seem to spend hours preparing for demonstrating/teaching, writing-up, reading and I'm starting to wonder whether I'm going to 'melt down' if I keep on going like this :-/ I think I’m just a bit of a worrier and like things to be ‘perfect’ but this is starting to take its toll and I’m thinking this (or my) kind of personality may not go well with a PhD.

It’s all came to a bit of a head for me this evening really. I managed to get my MPhil-PhD transfer report submitted a week ago today (after 3 sets of changes!) and was meant to be doing a hour-long research seminar tomorrow but had to cancel it last minute tonight – I just couldn’t see any way of getting it done to a standard that would make me feel confident getting up and speaking for an hour.

Has anybody else had similar experiences? Am I just lacking confidence? And what the heckity weck do I do to sort this out?!±

Someone please make me feel better!! Meh!
G.

R

Hi Grey,

see your point and think you are not alone.
I think that a lot of researchers have too standards ("perfectionists") which may also be a route to unhappiness.

I, like you, worry a lot, yet find it useful regarding presentations to stick to a limited amount of information which I know well and then to make a session interactive. The interaction helps to keep your audience involved and also makes that time flies... Also most feedack regarding presenting / teaching in that way are positive!

V

The same here:( Despite a positive feedback from my supervisor and past achivements, constantly worrying about everything and doubting everything I do. Seems to be a normal PhD experience;)

F

Yes, you are not alone. That is me also. I am always stressing about things not being done, not being good enough etc.

J

I'm the same I worry about anything and everything and constantly think I'm not good enough.

S

I can slightly disagree with others and say that I have found that "perfect for me" is only a personal opinion. So,as time went by I have found that I will do my best under the circumstances even though not perfect to my standard. I do have a more open opinion towards others criticisms and praise about my work, so I do take on board them and do what ever I can with that. I think when I came to a point that made me realise that I would never be able to finish my PhD if I carry on being a perfectionist and holding on to the idea that its my precious research, I changed to doing the best I can. But I am yet to see if this is the right approach as I have not finished

D

I agree as I do worry sometimes about how everything will get done and whether it is good enough! But I also agree with Sheena's view that you can only do the best you can in the time you've got and under the circumstances you have or else you will forever be changing it! There is always stuff to correct and improve! Sometimes you have to hope for the best when you have a lot on your plate and get on with it even though it may not be up to your usual standards! You could spend ages getting to be perfect only to find a mistake later on! Put whatever you are doing into perspective and learn to let go! But I am also awful for fiddling with stuff as that is what takes ages!

H

Do you guys maybe not get that much praise and encouragement when things do go well?

My industrial superivisor always makes a point of telling me how well he thinks I'm doing or if my report is good etc. I think it really helps and stops me getting bogged down with the small things.

O

Hi, I empathise with all that you have said as I am exactly the same. You do sound like a perfectionist and this often leads to not getting things done on time and often means focussing on things that aren't so important. It sounds like you have time-management issues and difficulty prioritising things. Prepping for lab demonstration is noble of you, but the raison d'etre of your PhD is your research. You must figure this out yourself, but do it quickly - most people are unable to change their style of doing things because the pattern is ingrained - you must tyr to organise your whole life as simply as possible - forget complicated plans. Plan your week, plan your days and stick to it - the key is to stick to it - when you don't, you get stressed - when you do, you feel empowered. Exercise every day before uni, make a list, carry it out, go home and continue ad nauseum and you'll soon be the best student around!

C

Hey everyone. I can totally relate to what has been said. I would consider myself a perfectionist and think it's probably a common trait amongst scientists, after all you need to have an eye for detail. But to get the thesis handed in in a timely manner I think you need to learn when to say enough is enough and hand in your chapters to your supervisors even if you are not 100% happy with them. I handed in my first results chapter today and on a bit of a high! It's by no means great but at least it's a start and hopefully the feedback I get from it will make the rest of my thesis easier to write!

G

Thanks for your comments guys. Always helps to know I am not alone in this respect. I will have to try and battle my perfectionist tendencies if I am to remain in academia for the long-term I guess.