Over qualified and under qualified- but not qualified

E

I'm beginning to think that studying psychology has been a complete waste of time! I've been unsuccessful in finding work in psychology related for the past few months, even though I have relevant experience. I know its competitive out there, but a friend who has no experience found related work last month. Although I'm happy for her, I feel that I walked into this study area blind.

Ar'nt you supposed to feel that the worlds your oyster once you've completed a qualification? I just feel exhausted! and losing motivation.

Today I naively walked into my local job centre with my MSc, work experience, and 'other skills' feeling hopeful that I might just find any job at all, printed off at least twenty potential positions only to be told that they were either looking for a school leaver (so they could get away with paying minimum wage) or that it's been reserved for some kind of scheme for young offenders/ mothers returning to work/ etc...- no disrespect to them, I think those schemes are great- but I need a job and I don't seem to be suitably qualified for anything at the moment...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

G

This has what to do with PhD's? Just wondering. Lots of forums out there for people in the same boat as you, where you'll no doubt get much better advice than here.

H

Are you looking for PhD?

G

It would appear this person has a MSc and wants a job. I would suggest one of the multitude of forums dedicated to graduates finding work.

H

Ezra: I found that with a Science BSc (the MSc was work funded) but just have patience. I went to a good science uni but didn't get anything for 6 months because I wanted to stay in science. The best the job centre could offer was street sweeper of cleaner! Keep plugging away, something will come up but don't choose a PhD just as an "easy" option

C

are you looking for clinical psychology work or work as a research assistant or looking for a phd? I found even with an MSc i struggled to get a research assistant position, and even with some clinical experience and an MSc i didn't even get an interview for a clinical position (and was later told 400 people applied for one job!) i ended up working for a year as a teaching assistant and feel working in an academic environment helped me when i went for a phd (which i've now started this september.

I guess my advice is try not to get down hearted and keep trying and applying. I worked for four years mainly in bars and restaurants before getting to where i am now. may sound liek rubbish jobs but they were flexible and allowed me time to do voluntary work to get more experience.

good luck

E

Thanks for your words of advice Hypothesis and catalinbond.

Yes, I looked into the pros and cons of either going for a phd or psyD before I finished my masters. After being dissuaded by my then undergraduate supervisor in going for DClinPsy degree, my now masters supervisor has dissuaded me from a Phd! I’ve decided to try for a DClinPsy- even knowing how competitive it is, I’m prepared to stick it out to get there!

E

I already have research work experience too, and alittle bit of clinical work experience, but I suppose its early days and I am competing against thousands in a really competitive field. I did get an offer of a job today through an agency, it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, but at least it’s a starting point. I guess I was'nt prepared for having to start right at the bottom of the work ladder, after working my way up the academic ladder so far, I thought I ight at least have a chance of starting somewhere in the middle …thanks again and good luck to you both

E

woops! sent those last two messages the wrong way around...

B

Coming from the world of psychology myself, I have seen thing or two.

Almost every undergrad at some point wants to do the DClinPsy, and as it is fully salaried, the competition is absoulutely brutal. My ex girlfriend was a DClinPsy trainee and she had years of experience as an assistant psychologist in about 4 different settings. About half her class had PhDs as well as various experience. I also found out that many of them had huge support from working clinical psychologists (like having their applications read, coaching for interviews, outstanding references etc).

B

A research assistant I did my PhD with applied for 6+ years and never had a single interview.

I personally dont think anything is worth that degree of hassle, especially if there are no guarantees that you will ever get on courses. Especially when its far easier to be train as psychotherapist or counsellor in half the time.

O

There is always the option of going to the United States to do a doctorate in clinical psychology. I have no idea about the competition for places, but there do seem to be a lot of them about, (not meant in a deregatory way at all) so it might be a feasible way to get the qualification?

E

yes, I've re-done my personal statement so many times now, I'm begnning to see that the problem with finding work might lay else where. I do think the whole system of gaining entry into professional psychology is unfair though.

Anyone contemplating entering undergrad psy including further study in the area to become fully qualified should be given a health warning. Or, just fully briefed on what to expect through the next ten years or so. Living like a pauper, with the ever growing uncertainty of ever reaching your goal. But hey, there's always HR...

E

I have also looked into studying abroad. An old course mate went over just after graduating and is currently fully qualified and practising in child psychology! She's lucky though as she has a family base there, I think it would need a lot deeper tought and planning for me to up root right now, though I have seriously considered it. The only major thing is that I don't think the qualifications over there confers to BPS, so I would'nt be able to practice over here if I wanted to with APA qualifications. I going keep looking into though.

B

Why not train as a psychotherapist/ mental health nurse/ other related job? Its probably a lot easier.

I am still not sure if I agree with entry to psychology as unfair. I have friends who are in forensic, clinical and educational who weren't rich or Oxbridge only. It seems a lot less unfair than academia (which is very political and is more about being in the right place at the right time). Sure my ex had to gain experience, but she didn't have connections or bribe anyone to get onto her training course. No disrespect but maybe you are seeing it as unfair because you havent been chosen?