Passed my viva!

E

I’m delighted to announce that yesterday I passed my viva with minor corrections.

After being utterly terrified, not sleeping or eating, I really enjoyed it! It wasn’t scary at all, I kept forgetting I was being examined, it just felt like a discussion. It was less difficult than a job interview.

I’d done loads of prep, worked through common questions, pulled my thesis apart and convinced myself I would get major revisions at best.

My examiners were obviously interested in my research, they were really great and put me at ease. They said at the beginning it was an excellent thesis, and the revisions will 100% make my thesis so much better. I’m to add a bit of text to 2 sections, and fix typos. I’ve been given 3 months due to me working and homeschooling at the moment.

My advice is to know your epistemology and ontology, ensure you know your paradigm well.

It’s not been an easy journey, as some of you may know from my old account, I was the victim or a terrible crime during my first year. I had to complete my PhD with that trauma and the relates court case. I’m a single parent, and until I met my partner a year ago, I had very little support outside of my PhD. I also battled an eating disorder, PTSD and severe depression during the 3.5yrs I did my PhD. So if anyone reading is struggling with mental health concerns, feel free to message me and I can advise you how I navigated academia with these problems.

Finally, thank you to all who have advised and supported me on here!

(Currently nursing the hangover)

B

Congratulations! To have come this far, given all your personal troubles, is proof that it CAN be done! Well done and enjoy the celebrations : )

Congratulations! Really well done! I am glad you passed with so little issue, as you have definitely had a rough PhD. I hope you can now relax now that you are Dr Em89.

C

Congratulations! :)

Can anyone translate 'My advice is to know your epistemology and ontology, ensure you know your paradigm well' into layman's terms?

E

Quote From cucaracha:
Congratulations! :)

Can anyone translate 'My advice is to know your epistemology and ontology, ensure you know your paradigm well' into layman's terms?

It's all about your approach to research, your stance (positivist, interpretivist) etc. Best way is to let the lovely Tara teach it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWtPhvIXaOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75cmEkiZk08

C

Wow that's great! Thank you!