PGCE and PhD?


Just enquiring if you manage to get a phd studentship with some lecturing/teaching would you be able to do a PGCE part time as well?


Probably not at the same institution...


A PGCE is a teaching qualification for children and hence is based on pedagogy i.e. teaching children not teaching adults (andragogy) whom you would encounter when demonstrating etc. A person studying for a PGCE spends a considerable amount of time in schools on teaching practice/observing teaching. It's certainly not compatible with fulltime PhD study (and I very much doubt you could do it along side a part-time PhD).


BTW, I should have written that a PGCE is a 'qualification for teaching children', rather than a 'teaching qualification for children'(!)...although teachers are looking much younger these days!


I mean a part time PGCE for post-compulsory education designed for either further or higher education, that is endorsed by the Higher Education Academy, I also assume while teaching, a phd would be done part time as well


A PGCE is only for primary or secondary education, as far as I know.


You are unlikely to find a lecturing post where you can do a part-time PhD. The usually situation (esp. in science) is to complete your PhD, postdoc for several years (when you try to pick up some teaching in HE course/qualifications) and then you attempt to find a lecturing post.


A PGCE is possible for post-compulsory education, as I have one (although i did it before embarking on a PhD)


Hi, if you are doing some teaching (tutoring, lecturing or demonstrating) whilst doing your Phd your university might run a teaching course for postgrads (postgrad certificate in teaching or something similar) that is affiliated to the Higher Education Adacemy . It should cover theory of how people learn, and perhaps involve some observations of your teaching. At my uni when you become a lecturer you are required to take a course in your first 18 months as part of the conditions of your probation. This course qualifies you for full membership to the Higher Education Academy, but you can't take that course until you are a lecturer, although occassionally postdocs may be able to take it. Do you want to be a secondary school teacher after your PhD? To be a lecturer a PGCE is not required, although a few people do have it.

Avatar for XJR

Leb 0505: I think you need to work out why you want to do a teaching qualification. As Ann says a PGCE is a qualification for teaching children and if you want to be a school teacher there is little point in doing a PhD.

Remember you don’t need a teaching qualification to lecture in higher education. However, if you want a teaching qualification to improve your teaching ability once you have completed your PhD then there are a number of options. As Zelda says there is a PGCE (FE) which is a qualification aimed at people teaching in post-16 education. However, this is a full time course that requires a large amount of coursework and a placement carrying out teaching practice/observation of teaching. I think this would be far too much to take on at the same time as your PhD and your supervisor/university would almost certainly stop you from taking much work on in addition to your PhD.

Avatar for XJR

======= Date Modified 23 Dec 2008 23:46:50 =======


from what I know if you are a taching assistant in a university and the PhD on part time basis they will allow you to do PGCE or sometimes make it as compulsory as a part of your teaching activities.


Yikes! From what I hear PGCEs are incredibly hard work, and so are PhDs! Doing both at the same time sounds like a one way ticket to exhaustion to me...or at least you'll need a year off to recover afterwards...


PGCE for FE teaching is not necessarily full time - my partner is a FE lecturerer and does his PGCE one night a week. Bear in mind that to do a PGCE you must first have a teaching post. chicken and egg scenario. I would have thought if you are a PhD student you may have to fund yourself if you really want to do it.


Hello, long post alert! The PGCE for post 16 is called a PCE, post-compulsory certificate of education, or some such title, which gives you a Qualified teacher status and allows you to teach in Further Education ie post 16 college etc but NOT Higher Education ie Uni. I did a little research into it, and it sounds like a VERY intensive course.

You have to be well qualified in your specialist area (so at least a masters) and be available 5 days a week, 3 full lecture days and 2 obs then teaching days. They offer full funding award: fees + £6,000 a year on a competition basis, but it might not cover living costs if your rent is anymore than about £400 a month. Its definitely not compatible with the Phd, and you would probably lose funding for one or the other if either found out you were, in effect 'moonlighting' and doing both. At least, this is what I was told by the college I approached about it. Could be scare-mongering.