PGCE and PhD?


They did their best to persuade me to go PCE instead of Phd bless-em, and I'm doing some observing in college at the moment with post 16's AS and A2 level film and media students, but I won't be persuing this career path. They might be post 16, but most of them can't spell and their attentions spans are worse than demented goldfish. Half of them don't turn up to class because mummy and daddy told them they should continue learning until at last 18 and when they do turn up they make the stupidest of remarks. Very tiresome.

I'm not saying all colleges are like this but it really is like school without the sanctions. Perhaps I sould point out I'm talking about film studies and media studies, and they are they are considered 'soft' subjects, so do tend to attract layabouts (gross generalisation, I know but it seems to hold true!). Still, its mayhem. But that's just my opinion I'm sure there are many FE lecturers who are more than fulfilled by their career choices.


I'm now looking into the city ang guilds as an option to get a bona fide teaching qualification, even if it is a less weighty one. My advice would be to do some onservation at a college/uni so you can at least say you've got some experience in the classroom as something other than a student. Some uni's might offer 1st yr Phds teaching prac if you have at least some experience (the uni I'm applying to have offered me teaching in my first year, only 1st yr undergrad, but it's a step in the right direction, which is why I'm sitting in on the A levelers).

So there you have it. That's about the limit of my knowledge on the subject of PCEs. It's what I've read and been told, and not all unis/colleges are the same so don't assume it's going to be the same accross the board. Hope it helps nonetheless. FFxxx


The PGCE I am interested in, is all supported by the Higher Education Academy as well Further Education.

I was considering the PGCE first, then maybe a part time Phd later..
obviously not starting it all at the same time!


I have a PGCE in post compulsory education (PCET). I did mine part time over two years. Although the pace was quite leisurely, if you want to do it properly, you will have to dedicate a lot of hard work. You do not require an MA to study, just a BA. I certainly would not recommend engaging in any other study whilst completing it, especially a PhD. Most PhDs state that you should not even work for more than 5 hours per week.

A PGCE (PCET) will enable you to teach college students and adults. I’ve been teaching in colleges for 5 years, both teenagers and adults. That was enough for me. It’s very hard to get out of teaching into a new career, so I’m planning to study a PhD to move into new areas.