PhD and/or PGCE

L

I am wondering if anyone has done a PGCE and a PhD
either they attempted both (probably not at the same time) and did not finish one, or did one and then the other (i.e which one you did first?)

I have interests into both and wondering what people think of the subject?

T

Well I suppose it depends what you want to do.. If you want to go into teaching kids then a PGCE is essential. I would imagine it would be very hard to do a PGCE and a PhD at the same time unless you did a part time PhD and a flexi-PGCE (which takes 2 years rather than 1 year). As for doing one then the other.. I don't think there is a correct order to do them it would boil down to personal preference and which was more important to you.

B

I did a PGCE when I graduated from my BA. It took a year & there is a bursary to help cover costs (between 6,000 and 9,000 depending on level and subject). After that, I taught for two years. It was only at this point that I went back to university to do higher study ( Master's and now PhD). I think having time out in the "real" world helped me in a number of ways, Mainly : it has made me a lot more balanced about doing a PhD, and more secure in terms of knowing that I can always earn money; also, I learnt some amazing (invaluable) people skills and work habits.

You don't really explain why you want to do a PhD -- do you actually want to be a teacher or is it just for the experience of doing something different before you plunge back into the madness of academia My advice would be that, if you want a career as a teacher, do the PhD then a PGCE, but if you want a career as an academic do the PGCE first.

A

We've been here before, in case anyone wants to check out previous replies on this topic
http://www.postgraduateforum.com/showmessage.asp?thread=5111&cat=3&keyword=phd%20pgce&newview=1&stype=TM&category=0

G

Putting aside the PGCE issue, I'm personally wondering why anyone would feel it necessary to obtain a PhD to go into teaching (11-16).

L

I was thinking of the PGCE for post compulsory education (only teaching 16 years or older)

qulaification which gives you QLTS, not the secondary education one!!

B

golfpro -- Maybe just because they want to do a PhD (ie - out of a desire to learn more rather than to get a qualification for a specific purpose .. ) I know that was always my motivation.

G

Yes I agree, it is a line of reasoning. But if a person fully intended to go into 11-16 teaching would there be a point other than that personal development argument?

B

Well, speaking as a PGCE (Secondary) graduate and a PhD student... I guess I'm qualified to say something on the topic. Firstly, PGCE covers all age ranges 4-18, not just 11-16. Secondly, my desire to do a PhD arose out of my PGCE. The PGCE FE is for post-16 further education (e.g. sixth form and further education colleges). I think for HE (i.e. university level) there is a further PGCE, called the PGCHE which is specifically aimed at lecturer training.

B

For leb050:

I'd say, go for PhD first, if it's your interest and passion, then do a PGCHE if you want to work in academia. Don't do a PGCE unless you are interested in school-based teaching (at whatever level).

For golfpro:

For many people in a wide variety of professions, a PhD is about interest and passion and not just about CPD or individual progress. That said, I'm a teacher looking to move up to academia, but my interest began with a passion for my subject, and not a desire to move on or teach at a higher level. I guess there are many, many reasons for wanting to do a PhD.

B

In response to Tricky's post - I agree. Unwise move to try to begin a PhD and do a PGCE at the same time. Teacher training year (and NQT year which follows for that matter) are very intensive. You barely have time to live and breathe, never mind study for a higher degree at the same time.