PhD and Sport

M

I was just wondering how many PhD students are able to get involved with university sport. I am hoping to do a PhD in neuropharmacology or a related lab-based topic, but there's a sport I want to play but haven't really had chance to (I started as an undergrad but labs were on practice afternoons). So do many PhDs get to do sport, especially considering that most practices tend to be Weds afternoons?

G

I'd love to get involved with my Uni's golf team but as I am still technically a professional it makes me persona non grata even for a [yes on awednesday afternoon] knockabout sadly. I'm apparently seen as unclean.

M

Wow, a pro eh? It's American football I'm interested in, but I play golf sometimes - I have a very nasty slice though, but I blame it on my clubs being too short hehe.

J

i think it's more difficult for science peeps.

M

Yeah Jewel, that's what I'd imagined. A shame, but hey. I remember there was almost mass student action at my old uni when some science departments decided to use Weds afternoons for practical classes, which does seem a shame when there are four other afternoons which could be used, although I guess it depends on how much space there is. As for sport during PhD - it'd be great to do something, but I woulnd't want to get on the wrong side of my supervisor!

I

Yeah, I remember having lab work on some wednesdays during my undergrad, too. Absolutely ridiculous - everyone knows that wednesdays is sports day, and sport is as valid a part of any curriculum, and is healthy to do. Whenever both were scheduled on the same day, though, those who had sporting responsibilities were allowed to switch with people doing the lab work on another day, so it was alright.

I really want to get back into sport, too. Football or badminton. I'd really like to know if that would cause a problem (thumbs up on the topic Matthew ^_^)

G

Golfpro's golf tips section:

'I have a very nasty slice though'

Quick fix...You will [probably] be doing what's technically called 'hitting from the top', thereby throwing the club on the outside. Try 'swinging out' to an pretend target some 50 yards to the right of the primary target. You'll hit from the inside that way. When [days/weeks] you start pushing/hooking the ball, go back to normal thinking.

M

I remember playing a bit of sport for a few weeks once, and I always ended up working far more efficiently than if I'd spent the equivalent time in front of the TV or in the pub in the evening. Surely there must be time on Weds afternoons, although would a supervisor then think that you're arranging work around other areas of your life.

F

I'm at the sportiest uni in the country! A few folks do sport in my department, we have a department footie team, and a few of us swim. The masters students are all involved in sports thou. I think it varies from department to department.

M

Would that be Loughborough then fifi?

B

Golf pro. I play golf regularly even with all the work. Where you based? Anywhere near Leeds? We could hook up for a round if you liked. (Im a member at a very nce club!!!!)

B

Hey Matthew - now its all falling into place why you wanted to apply to Birmingham - The Birmingham Lions are the best American Football team in the country. Woohoo!

I love my sport but have been completely unable to get into it down at UCL. There's loads of things schedualed for a wednesday afternoon, which is completely rubbish. Birmingham uni would never have done this, which I'm guessing is why they are number 2 in the BUSA league so consitantly, as opposed to Uni of London, which seems to look down on sport.

It sucks!

M

Haha - I did know that, but I can't be that picky. Anyway, I'd be more likely to get into a poor team as I didn't really get into it much at my old uni. I need a sport which makes use of my heftiness - no gymnastics for me!

G

bazzab...I'm based in the NW [actually at Uni at Lancaster].

Used to be a member at Royal Lytham in my [very] younger days. Now have the occasional round at DeVeres Herons Reach. Keeps you busy this PhD game.

M

Hey Golfpro, I'm in Preston (living, not at uni atm). Cumbria has some very nice courses - RLSA is rather posh...