PhD blog about PhD topics and being a mum

D

Hello all!
Just a cheeky post to put my blog out there. I'm new to this so trying to say hello. The blog is my experience as a mum and as a PhD student. It represents my own views only.

T

Looks interesting! Here is my (sadly neglected) blog that I might start posting on again some day! There are some posts about studying with children too.

D

Fantastic! Its great to read about the expeirence of other mums out there doing a PhD. Thank you for sharing yours :)

B

Heya, thanks for sharing these blogs. I am pregnant and still completing my PhD. I'm in my third year at a London uni. I will take a break for the early months and return afterwards. I'm wondering how many other PhD mums / dads there are out there who would like the idea of writing together whilst our young babies play, so like a writing creche. I have tweeted about this, just an idea, to get both PhD mums and their babies interacting. Big support to everyone on this journey!

H

Is it your 1st baby Britt? I can't imagine any babies playing together whilst the parents write, until they are about 3 years old, they don't normally let you do anything whilst you attempt to even send an email!

D

Hi Britt. Firstly, congratulations!

I too am in my final year. I agree with the comment above - time is a precious commodity with a baby. You can get a lot done in the newborn phase, but once they become mobile, forget it! a support network of people in the same position is always helpful though - and it can be a fluid thing, if the creche/writing session works, why not!

I was made to feel like i was the only person on the planet who would consider a baby and a PhD simultaneously. So its great to know others are out there.

D

Good to see I am not the only one. I have a two-year-old and currently 30 weeks pregnant. Came back from my field work two months ago and actively trying my best to complete one analysis chapter before the baby comes in July. I have to say that it has been pretty easy to work from home because my husband can look after the two-year-old while I work. The challenge, however, is the distraction that comes with toilet breaks etc.
My university is in London, but I live in West Midlands, so only have to go to London when I have to meet with my supervisor for feedback. Will actively follow your blog just in case there are tips :)

My final year commences in Sept. so technically I am still in my 2nd year.