PhD dropout resume?

B

Hi everyone thanks for reading this. As PhD quitter, I am looking for a real job but at the same time I need a part-time to pay bills. Do I have to write that I am a PhD dropout when applying for part-time position? I am planning to work as cashier at locate store or in a cafe or some kind and I am afraid people will not understand what I did as a phD student and that they might not hire me for this reason. But I don't want to lie either... what is your experience?

P

Quote From Becky1210:
Hi everyone thanks for reading this. As PhD quitter, I am looking for a real job but at the same time I need a part-time to pay bills. Do I have to write that I am a PhD dropout when applying for part-time position? I am planning to work as cashier at locate store or in a cafe or some kind and I am afraid people will not understand what I did as a phD student and that they might not hire me for this reason. But I don't want to lie either... what is your experience?

Your CV is a personal marketing document. Put whatever you like in it as long as it is true. Omit whatever you want as well but employers will ask what you did during that period

K

Don't lie exactly but make your CV relevent to the job you are applying for. Being a recent student is good, no need to explain what level you studies at. Service jobs are filled with students so you should be fine.

K

Just don't go into lots of detail about any research you carried out. I'm not saying dumb down but I do know of employers binning CV with higher degrees on them for fear they clearly won't stay.

B

Your CV is a personal marketing document. Put whatever you like in it as long as it is true. Omit whatever you want as well but employers will ask what you did during that period[/quote]

Right. As long as I don't lie about it when the employers ask.

B

Quote From kikothedog:
Just don't go into lots of detail about any research you carried out. I'm not saying dumb down but I do know of employers binning CV with higher degrees on them for fear they clearly won't stay.

That is exactly what I was concerning, not only I will not be considered at all because of the graduate studies, but I think it's bad if other co-workers knew my background that I might get challenge and bullied. Thanks for the input.

P

Quote From Becky1210:
Quote From kikothedog:

That is exactly what I was concerning, not only I will not be considered at all because of the graduate studies, but I think it's bad if other co-workers knew my background that I might get challenge and bullied. Thanks for the input.

I am not sure I understand you here. Why do you think you would be bullied?

T

Quote From Becky1210:

Just write that you are a graduate researcher for the time you were doing your PhD. And no, I do not think that they will discriminate you on being a PhD dropout. However. they will be reluctant to hire you if you display negative emotions or attitude at the interview. I have friends who dropped out from their PhD, worked for a while at odd jobs (cleaners, tutors, waitress, etc), before getting their full time position. The important thing is to display a positive attitude and not be bitter about quitting your PhD.

Indeed, employers are looking for passionate and positive staff!

Quote From tru:
Quote From Becky1210:

Just write that you are a graduate researcher for the time you were doing your PhD. And no, I do not think that they will discriminate you on being a PhD dropout. However. they will be reluctant to hire you if you display negative emotions or attitude at the interview. I have friends who dropped out from their PhD, worked for a while at odd jobs (cleaners, tutors, waitress, etc), before getting their full time position. The important thing is to display a positive attitude and not be bitter about quitting your PhD.

C

The employer is concerned about whether you possess the skills required to do the job, and depending on the role other factors such as how well you will fit in with their team. The CV should be tailored for each job application, based upon the person specification for that role. I agree with Tru's advice about writing that you were a graduate researcher etc. if you prefer not to say that you were a PhD student, since this is still factual. For the role you mention interpersonal skills will be very important so emphasise these in your application - citing examples from your past work and study. You won't need to go into detail about your PhD studentship if it is not relevant for the role for which you are applying.

B

Quote From pm133:
Quote From Becky1210:
Quote From kikothedog:

I am not sure I understand you here. Why do you think you would be bullied?

Hi, thanks for pointing it out. I did not notice this myself and I think this shouldn't be in my attitude.

B

That's a good idea. I will be positive about this. Thanks.

B

Quote From Cat123:
The employer is concerned about whether you possess the skills required to do the job, and depending on the role other factors such as how well you will fit in with their team. The CV should be tailored for each job application, based upon the person specification for that role. I agree with Tru's advice about writing that you were a graduate researcher etc. if you prefer not to say that you were a PhD student, since this is still factual. For the role you mention interpersonal skills will be very important so emphasise these in your application - citing examples from your past work and study. You won't need to go into detail about your PhD studentship if it is not relevant for the role for which you are applying.

Indeed, I learned a lot of applicable skills as a researcher which can be transferred to the job I wanted.