Phd Fashion for Fall?!

O

YIKES is about all I have to say about current "fashions" for women's clothing. Well, I do have other words, actually, but they would not be allowed on this forum. Having tried in vain to find a few appropriate tops, I am left feeling rather disguisted and I guess I will just have to wait a few years for the "fashions" to change. Is it just me or does everything look like a maternity top these days? You walk into any type of clothing shop and you are greeted with rack after rack of maternity smocks.

O

And...ummm...the faux pregnant look is NOT what I am after, actually, which leaves me with NO choice! WHY are these styles around-if no one would buy them they would not persist, do people REALLY want to carry off this faux pregnant look? Its not an attractive style, and oh my gosh, I wonder how many people have been wrongly congratulated on an upcoming birth when maybe they just had a large meal but give off the "pregnancy sillouhete" in these maternity smocks?? UGH! Rant over.

J

it's true. Either that or it's all electro neon, which I have to confess I am an enormous fan of. I think though that if I turned up to the PhD research room or a meeting with my sup with clashing luminous neon clothes on, accessorised to the max and with neon plastic shades I may not be taken that seriously...

Being grown-up sucks.

*sigh*

J

although I don't give reason to be taken seriously much anyway...

B

Yep... there's loads of stuff around that's like little girl dresses / smocks. They make you look and feel a bit too much like Grayson Perry (...which is fine for Grayson, but I can't carry it off myself)

J

I tried a dress on that last month was just gorgeous but flowed out too much from the empire line and made me look sooooo pregnant - and it was a size 10... There is no hope!

B

If I was Nicky Hambleton-Jones from "Ten Years Younger" I'd tell you to put a belt round it...

...then I'd take out half of your teeth and perform unnecessary cosmetic surgery whilst sneering at you.

J

Hehe! and burn my face off while cackling in the background... Eek am scared! Just take the dress! take it away!

J

I discovered skinny jeans this year, and I think they're more flattering than the bootcuts I'd been wearing.

I think that colourful headscarves look good too: ideal in windy weather. I may pioneer the headscarf for non-religious girls; Tie Rack have some nice ones.

C

i bought one of those tops, but have since decided it makes me look awful. My boyfriend seems to like it for some reaon though! Anyway I now find ebay the best place for shopping, you can do it on a procrastination break and don't even have to leave the office!

The smocky top look is so over!! you could try a wide belt, sometimes works on them, updates them. Having said that I'm wearing a 'bubble' shape top today which although is too short to make me look pregnant does give it a good run. I quite like it, its comfortable. But anyhow I'm sure it'll all be over soon. They're defo over in the fashion mags. What a great thread...

Haaaa. HHHaaa, ha, just read all the posts - maybe I am Nicky Hambleton Jones!!!! I've never pulled anyone's teeth out though. Hilarious!!!

S

ooooh, i just love empire style! got a whole wardrobe full of the stuff, loving it

O

Whew! that is good news Eska that this smock look is gone--or soon at any rate ( but can they PUHLEAASE replace it with something wearable?!). The peasant blouse look of a couple of years ago was OK, those were decent enough to wear, but then it all went insane with this smock/pregnant look...shudder...! Where do people get a career wardrobe, ie, nice but conservative blouse, skirt, etc...something less formal than a suit, but more business like than a smock??!

M

Olivia, UK stores a generally rubbish at providing business wear/smart-casual wear for women. I envy Americans who have a huge choice of womenswear for every style, shape and budget.

On the British front for smart-casual try:
Ted Baker
Thomas Pink (beautiful shirts)
Charles Tyrwhitt (always have a sale on)
Toast (currently blighted with the smock-look, but normally sell beautiful boho style clothes).
Boden (goes for the yummy mummy market).
House of Fraser

All the above have online stores. Unforunately, they are all expensive and currently beyond most PhDs' budgets (although some bargains can be had in the sales).