Phd Fashion for Fall?!

O

Scarlett O'Hara returns...when working on her PhD she said, " I will worry about that tomorrow."

The wikipedia article says it is flattering for people who 'lack curvuture' but doesn't say it is unflattering for curvey people! I like to wear empire line, cos the empire line tops tend to follow those hags, trinny and susanna's rules for bigger busted people- if you are curvey, have a low neckline, with cropped/three quarter length sleeves (never sleeveless!). The empire bit means that it will lengthen your body if you are short (which is why I like it!) hence why this is my perfect ever dress for my wedding next year

http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/designer/pronovias/detail/164158

S

Very nice sneaks! But alas, I think I would look like a pantomime dame in a dress like that.

lol, well maybe I will too, but at least its a bit different - people keep on telling me its the best day of my life but am expecting that to be when I pick up that certificate after all this work and become Dr sneaks! lol.

O

Yes, a very lovely dress!! But I am with Smilodon on this, I could not wear it, all wrong for my bustline!

http://vintagedress.co.uk/edwardian.html

ah ha, after some searching, I found something that closely resembles my wedding dress, look at E4 on the webpage, its very similar, and I had a lovely hat to go with it, all in ivory! I found the dress quite by accident one day whilst shopping for dog food, it was hanging in a window display case of a shop, and I went in and eagerly begged them to get it down and let me try it. =)

O

Best wishes sneaks for your wedding day---its a great day, but exhausting! What I remember most clearly about mine is just DYING for a glass of champagne at the dinner/reception as I got there, having been held hostage for wedding snaps, and then of course people wanting to congratulate you, and all I wanted after the drama of the day ( a long story, complete with rain, bridesmaids locked out of the church, me not yet dressed dashing about looking for an unlocked door, no way to dry hair, shoving soaking wet hair under my Edwardian hat) and a friend of mine rushing with not one, but two, glasses of champagne, saying I KNOW YOU WILL WANT THESE! What are friends for?

Well at least it was memorable! Love the vintage dress - i'm just trying to work out if my budget can affort more than a dorothy perkins number lol. Will probably hate the whole thing as v introverted but never mind! can't wait for honeymoon and real holiday away from PhD - yay! although am worried that some major issue will come up with my data collection or something meaning I have to scrap the whole thing.

S

aaah, i LOVE pronovias AND empire style, the perfect combination for a wedding dress

you gotta have very slim arms to be able to wear little puffed sleeves like that though.

S

Well that's very nice too Olivia.

I got married in a dark blue, sequinned, full-length dress from Monsoon. Not sure if I can still get into it though...

I don't think I've worn a dress since my daughter was born. It's a mum's uniform of jeans and jumper/T-shirt/top every day.

I got rather drunk at my wedding!

O

My wedding dress hangs in my ex-husband's storage closet, because I have moved around so much since getting divorced, have not seen fit to take it and move it along with me, but do not want to get rid of it because I do like the dress...someday it might have a use? Fancy dress party or something? I told him he had more space than me to store it, but should he ever get bothered by it being there, to let me know and I would find another place to keep it.

Moral of the story: Hmm, I don't know. I really liked the dress?!

S

Why not dye it and use it as a party dress? That's one good thing about my dress - I can recycle it for eveing wear (yeah - all those countless parties I go to that require full evening dress..

Since I was dh's third wife, white did seem somewhat inappropriate. Not to mention expensive.

O

Maybe I can wear it to the online Jane Austen bookclub meetings....as I sit at the computer...its not exactly Jane Austen wear...maybe a few Edwardian novels could make their way in and presto--bookclub wear.

It would make a fun party dress! Although...hmmm...not that many parties I would go to that it would be the sort of thing to wear. Alternately, I could swan around at home in it! Just for a change.

S

Who said empire line and smocks look good on small people???? I'm skinny and look TERRIBLE in anything like that! Look like I've been attacked with a big duvet!! And puffy sleeves give me an 1980s style shoulder pad effect!!!

J

Sneaks, that's a great dress: one of the nicest I've ever seen.

On a complete aside: Thanks to this week's New Scientist, I now know that Smilodon is in fact a sabre-toothed tiger. And I thought it was just a made-up username!

S

Oh - I've been outed