PhD in finance at Warwick?

S

======= Date Modified 08 54 2010 09:54:48 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
======= Date Modified 06 40 2010 21:40:22 =======
======= Date Modified 06 40 2010 21 =======
Hello! I have graduated from the Warwick business school with an msc finance in 2009 and after a year of job searching have realised that academia may be more suitable for me...does anyone know whether the Warwick finance PhD is any good? How would it rank in the UK among other Business schools?

Thnx All!

S

I am looking for applying phd. Also, I am a Msc finance student.
Maybe we can share some information.

D

Warwick Business School is very highly regarded; within top 10 I would say.

A

Hey Sheldon,

I am currently doing my MA at Warwick... As far as i know WBS it is consider as one of the top business schools in the country and has high reputations when it comes to research. If you want to find more information regarding their PhD programs there is an open day for postgraduate courses and a special 'event' for people that they want to get involved in research.. this is the link: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/visits/opendays. i think the event is on the 17th of November. But if you cant make it you can always get in touch with the appropriate team or person via email.

Hope that this helps a bit! ;-)

P.S: Nice name btw... (up)

S

Thnx Antonisk...Do you now how Warwick ranks in terms of research in finance in the uk at phd level?...(mince)

A

Hello again,

You can check this website http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6643
it ranks Warwick as 3rd in Accounting and Finance after LSE. With more than 95 over all score and 5*B research level. which is almost the highest possible. You can see the notes on the web site about the raking system and methodology. the following is from the web site:

5* (top), 5, 4, 3a, 3b, 2 or 1(bottom). The letter refers to the proportion of staff included in the numerical assessment, with A including virtually everyone and F hardly anyone.

so if you really want the top you can go for LSE with 5*A.

I believe that there is not a huge difference so its up to you. Both of them are highly recognized and reputable institutions for research if you are asking my opinion.

S

hey antonisk, the table u showed is for undergrad only. if u look at ft rankings, warwick seems to be behind aston,imperial,oxf,cam,lbs,lse,bath,manchester in terms of research ...

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings

click on show all available fields...then tick research...somehow warwick is not too good here.(robin)

P

Hello

I work in the PG Admissions for the Doctoral Programme at WBS. We might be able to answer many of your questions about the PhD in Finance by contacting us at [email protected].

As far as the ranking tables, these are indicative and important, and WBS remains one of the top ranked business schools in the UK and Europe. For specific information on research undertaken by academic staff, I suggest that you look at individual faculty profiles.

While it is important to consider ranking tables, and we remain strong in that respect, you should also be thinking carefully about who would best supervise your particular research topic. You probably have an idea in mind which you need to develop because the topic has to sustain your interest and motivate you for three to four years. If WBS has the right person to supervise your research, then please make an application as soon as possible.

Your next consideration should be funding. If you need to apply for a financial award you should note that many of the major awards are now open for applications and will close on 31 January. We need your application within the next two months in order to make an initial decision on admission and then pass it on for consideration for an award. Again, contact [email protected] for information on the funding process (information will be posted in the next week on our webpages).

The PhD in Finance has very high standards and is an exacting programme. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks

S

Hello PhD admissions at Warwick,

Although i know that the criteria for entry is 2.1 undergraduate degree (minimum) and a relevant masters degree, what are the chances of admission if one does not have a distinction in the masters degree.. but a distinction for the thesis?

Thanks !