PHD in Gaming

F

I'm interested in gaming technology so I would like to furthur my studies to PHD in gaming.

So anybody know which University in America that have courses for PHD in gaming.

And anybody heard about PHD in Wii or Wii studies? I heard the news for PHD in wii everywhere but I can't find which University having the research ni Wii.

L

it might help if you asked on a USA forum, not a UK one

F

this a UK forum?

F

are'nt this a worldwide forum?
anyway if do you know any USA forum? any suggestion?
:)

G

Its pedominantly a UK based forum. I would suggest you try a search engine re finding a US based forum. That said someone did mention one (in the past) on here. Search back through the posts.

F

Anyway is there any PHD studies in Wii in UK?
Anybody heard about this?

T

I need a wii wii (hehe!)

L

Can I get this straight? A degree where you play computer games?!

R

I don’t think he/she means a degree in playing video games (as much as i would have loved to have done something like that). I assume he means Msc and PhD. The only Masters I know of in Gaming software actually started this year at my old uni the University of Dublin, Trinity College

It’s a proper masters in computer science and the thesis is expected to be of publishable standard. I assumed they emphasise this point to weed out any people who think its going to be an easy course. It looks like a really good qualification to have for anyone who either wants to work in the industry or do related research.

Computer gaming at first hand doesn’t seem like a very academic subject, but it can be surprisingly technical. ive seen companies that develop computer games advertising positions for people with PhD qualifications in physics and computer science.....

R

Developing computer games is a long expensive process. It can up to three years and cost millions of dollars to develop a game. Games are getting more realistic and smarter, so there is a lot of scope for the development of techniques and technologies in AI, Graphics and lots of other areas...

I doubt you are likely to find degrees which emphasis specific patented technologies. I would say if you’re this interested in wii then go get a job with Nintendo

S

I have a couple of friends who work on games. They are super bright and went in straight from their first degrees. They earn a ton of money and have great working conditions. Not sure how useful a PhD in this area really is comapred with getting work experience.

G

I agree completely. I know of at least one who did exactly the same. He was similar to the above. Academically very gifted/bright with a 1st class from a top Uni.

L

I get you! must have had brain freeze. game design/software stuff is fairly common but it's not called gaming so when you look at unis look for software dasign couses