phd in tudelft

P

Hi all,

I am a new member of this forum ; a great site !
Actually I want to get the opinions of the people studying for their PhD in TUDelft. And also I began thinking that the salary for the PhDs is not enough ? PhDs get 1400,1600,1700,1750 € roughly net salaries respectively for their 4 years of study but I know that housing is really expensive in Delft ? So what do you think of this situation and how do you overcome this salary shortage :)

R

Hi phdraider,

I am not doing a PhD in Delft, in fact currently I live in Germany.
I do know that Delft is a very good place to study and one of the best places in the Netherlands, if not the best.
Unfortunately, as you indicate it is very expensive, especially regarding the housing! Yet this area is very much in demand, hence that it will be unlikely that you will get a major increase in salary.
No easy solution, I am afraid.

P

thx for the reply ; any other alternatives for housing in other cities ? maybe Leiden ? any experience ?

S

housing everywhere in holland is very expensive because the government doesn't provide enough student housing. almost all of the phd students i know (i live in holland) live in a shared flat (300-500 euros/month).

on the other hand, there's still a sizeable chunk of money left after you've paid the rent, even when you've paid for medical insurance (80-150 euros/month). i don't think you should worry too much, unless you're used to having your own flat. you wouldn't be owning a car anyway (shitty parking and EVERYONE uses a bike, yes, even your supervisor). you can shop at ALDI's, that's cheap (i spend max 30 euros/week on food shopping).

every phd student i know has the same income and they can survive on it. you can always teach private english lessons too for extra cash.

S

check out www.kamernet.nl

P

Actually I will hire my own flat since I am married :) I have heard that tax rate is a bit less than that of singles for married employees ; am i right ?

P

no one from the netherlands ? :)

S

sorry, i don't pay taxes - not enough money
but the tax rate for married's is less than for singlies i think.

S

kamernet also offers flats (i saw some starting at 750euros/month excl. in delft).

D

he guys ..im balram soni .going to complite my MBBS(MD) from romania but im from india ..and now im looking Post graduation or Phd anywhere in germany so ple help me out coz i did not find any informantion till since 3 week..everywhere is just crap .so ple is there any one help me.
i sow that alot u guys are doing Phd so ple tell me some information about ur university n wanna found out if ican get over ther or not ...thx guys waiting for ur responce ...RAj